Anybody using ACADE 2015?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
If so what are your thoughts on it?

I just downloaded my update to ACADE 2015. So far with each successive generation I've grown more frustrated with the ACAD interface. I use ACADE extensively and love the product, but please, the old interface is so much easier to use.

I have been using it about six weeks and I agree with you 100% but thankfully I just use it for changes to existing equipment done in it. Any upgrades or anything new I do in Eplan.

I've been plodding away with ACADE2015 for two days now. I upgraded from 2013 - where you could still turn on the old menu bar and tool bars. It is definitely slower for now, though "I'm getting better"[/monty python] I'm not sure if its going to ever feel as convenient as the old toolbars. Since I use dual 24 monitors I never cluttered even with lots of tool bars open, but I guess the ribbon interface is here to stay. I've had to hunt for commands and sometimes it has taken quite a while to find them, only to need it again and not remember where I found it. Right now it takes almost twice as long to complete one drawing page. That is a step backwards, because when I first started using ACADE (back when it was VIA-WD before Autodesk bought it) it cut my drawing time by 25% immediately, and even more as I learned how to use it.

Last edited:
I used to use the old VIA also, now at ACADE 2011. I think it has gone downhill since Autodesk acquired it.
Soon to upgrade....at least to ACADE 2014.

If so what are your thoughts on it?

I just downloaded my update to ACADE 2015. So far with each successive generation I've grown more frustrated with the ACAD interface. I use ACADE extensively and love the product, but please, the old interface is so much easier to use.

I started out using AutoCAD 2000 and at my current job we used 2005 (or maybe it was 2004) for years. We made the jump to 2011 and have upgraded each year. I miss the pre-2011 days. I feel like it's not only getting harder to use but buggier as well.

It seems to me that the bigger the software company gets, the worse their product gets. Could be in my head though...

If you have an older version installed somewhere you can export your cuix and import it into ACADE 2015. This is what I've done. If you don't have access to a cuix, just PM me and I'll send one to you, just cause you're a nice guy (that and I can't stand someone being trapped by the ribbon) ;-)

From the Ribbon - Manage Tab: Click <Import>
When the CUI editor opens, Click the Transfer Tab
The current configuraton file will be in the right pane
In the left pane, load the configuration (cuix) file for AutoCAD 2014 or an earlier version
Under Workspace list in the left pane, highlight and copy "AutoCAD Classic"
Highlight the Workspace list in the right pane and Paste the Classic Workspace into that list
Click <Apply>, then <OK> to close the configuration editor
At the command prompt, type WORKSPACE, then C for <setCurrent>
Type "AutoCAD Classic" <Enter>
You will have your classic workspace with the traditional menu bar back
The AutoCAD Classic workspace will from now always be available in the workspace list
You can type WORKSPACE, then "?" to see the list of available workspaces