Photosensor Advice

BigTuna

Any photosensor experts out there? My first photo sensor project and I need some advice.

The application is to detect ice falling in an ice pen (10x10 room with ice falling periodically from an ice machine in ceiling). I'm looking at the following sensor:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Photoelectric_Sensors/18mm_Round_-_IP69K_%28Harsh_Duty_-z-_Food_-a-_Bev.%29_%28FF_Series%29/Polarized_Retroreflective_%28FFRP_-z-_FFRN_Series%29/FFRP-BN-1E

Will that do the trick? I went with the polarized to ensure I get the distance.

Any opinions / suggestions / alternatives would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

With that you will receive an 84 mm reflector. The PE will aim at the reflector to receive light back. You can wire it for a signal if a reflection (of the proper polarization) is being seen or if no reflection is being seen. The sensing area is a cone from a point on the face of the PE to the outside of the reflector.

The polarized retroreflector should see ice in that area since, even if it is very clear, it will not return the same polarization of light as the reflector. You may have to test somewhat.

There are many highly experienced folks on this forum. I have not had to sense ice, so I will defer to their expertise.

I've used hundreds of photosensors but I still end up talking to my Banner or Pepperl&Fuchs Apps Engineer when I have a head scratcher. The big advantage of going to them: if it doesn't work, they go to extremes to give me something that finally does work. The apps engineers are a great resource: know their products and stand behind them. Stand on the shoulders of giants...