RsLogix 500

Skipper

Well I've just found this site and I think it's wonderful. Now for the dilema. I've been programming PLCs for mor than 15 years, I started with AB PLC 2 and have learned a lot of newer ones as they've come out. I now work with a company using SLC 500s and I realize this is an older platform but one which I have little experience with. I've been using Modicon's "Concept", which I really enjoy, and trying to go back to AB's peculiar addressing and logic structure is driving me out of my mind. Does anyone have a tutorial lying about for RsLogix 500? if so I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Another Volunteer

Peculiar ? You've been dealing with a 1970's-vintage register-based system that doesn't differentiate between I/O and process data and you call SLC-500 addressing "Peculiar" ?

What you need, Skipper, is the LogixPro simulator. It's the SLC newbie's best friend.

http://www.thelearningpit.com/

The Instruction Set Reference is a pretty handy thing to have around, too.

Last edited:
I've got to agree emphatically with Ken on this one. Once you get used to the A-B convention for I/O and registers you should find RS-Logix much easier to use. It only has ladder, but it is real ladder and not the hermaphrodite ladder / function block system that Concept IEC-1131 gets you.

If you are using 984 version logic, the A-B system is a little different. A-B scans left to right in each rung and top to bottom rung to rung, and it doesn't have that silly page structure. It may take some getting used to, but it is much more intuitive than 984 logic.

The Concept programming package is really not well integrated - it is a bunch of separate programs that you have to get in and out of, some of which you can't even call from the main program. RSLogix is much more integrated. You'll miss peer cop, but little else on the Concept.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys and yes once upon a time I thought nothing of the way AB structured their data, but I haven't used an AB in quite a while and in the concept the FBDs and SFCs are so useful and their addressing structure much simpler(you just have to remember to leave room for double worded data types ie. floating point.) Most of the other PLCs I've been using in recent years have dealt almost entirely with simply bit type logic and I really never bothered to look at the rest of their data structure.

A-B ControlLogix platform would be nice but you asked about SLC-500. This platform can afford you what your use to using in Modicons' Concept. I like Concept as well (used to work for Modicon) and found the CLx PLC developement software is simular in many respects. So, if your not tied down to SLC then perhaps CLx would be better.

Bitmore

Tutorial for RS LOGIX

I have been working with slc500 for two years , and I Think I could help you, if you want to do something special, at least give you some tips & tricks