S5 STL instructions!!??

kennyb

Hey evryone,
anyone have any info, links, etc. on a decent instruction list for S5 STL. I mean one where I can go to the instruction e.g. LIR, and see an explanation which my feeble brain can understand. Any pros will notice this instruction is one of the nasty S5 ones which has no simple S7 equivalent. Any help mucho app.
kennyb

anyone have any info, links, etc. on a decent instruction list for S5 STL
No, I don't.
I mean one where I can go to the instruction e.g. LIR, and see an explanation which my feeble brain can understand.
Yes, I would like that too. I recognise your situation.

S5 was introduced in the late 70's, early 80's. The software of that age was not what it is now. S5 is becoming obsolete, so I very strongly doubt it that Siemens will put any effort in it to straighten up this situation. Anybody able to prove otherwise: please do. You'll help a lot of us.

Kind regards,

I am not a S5 expert but I do have a manual -

order number 6ES5 998-OUB23

The LIR instruction is load the contents of a memory word (addressed by ACCU 1) indirectly into the register.

They are apparently still available from Radio Spares (they are listed in the catalog anyway) and you may get one from Siemens

John,

I do have that one too, however the last two digit differ for it's a German version. But if you have seen the help files in Step7 or in RSLogix, then you realise that this instrcution list is not very well explained and not very easy to use. That's what Kenny's post is about: to find a DECENT instruction list for S5 STL.

I still have to second him :rolleyes: .

Kind regards,

Jean,

You are quite right, it isn't very clear, I will wind my neck in on this one. Am I right in thinking the LIR instruction is for indirect or indexed addressing? I have had a look at the S7 help files and the nearest equivalent would seem to be LAR.

Guys,
thanks for the input, at least I am not the only one having these nightmares. John, yes, the LIR is some sort of indirect addressing feature and LAR in S7 is similar (in fact the bloke at Siemens led me to believe they were interchangeable), but it is not the same thing. I am not 100% sure what this section of the routine is actually doing. Also included in this gem of a program is the TIR, L RS (read system data) and T RS (write to system data). Along with these are calls to system OBs (from inside FBs) which don't exist in the project and many more favourites which show up in the S5 to S7 Appendix tables entitled "Non-convertible addresses" and "Non-convertible instructions" (thanks!). I have a couple of S5 "programming" manuals which are really hardware manuals for particular CPU/PLC types and they don't really give enough detail. I have resorted to using the auto conversion tool and I'll worry about the glitches after a few stiff drinks.
Cheers!!

LIR is the S5 instruction for reading an absolute memory address of the CPU. Right before it you should see a value loaded into ACCU1, that's the memory address that will be read. TIR does the opposite, loads a value into the memory address.

This is from the header of the source file created by the S5-S7 converter:
LIR, TIR: In S7 there are no instructions for absolute addressing. They are
// partly replaced by new instructions (for example, access to data words greater than 255),
// and partly by system functions (SFCs). The same applies to
// data block start, data block length, and base register.

Last edited:
Find the Book: Programming the S5-135U with STEP5, by Hans Berger
ISBN 3-8009-1474-3
Order no. A19100-L531-F106-X-7600
I don't know from where, but it have told in some earlier topic in this forum.

LIR and TIR are unnecessary properties and very slow operations compared with fe. Load-Transfer-pairs.
Br. Seppo Alanen