Motor for single phase drive

basharath

Dear,
i have got a allen bradley powerflex 4m(2 HP) AC drive,which is single phase input(240v) and 3 phase output,

the question is,some seniors are asking me to take 240v 3 phase motor,
i am not getting that motor in the market,i am getting 440v 3 phase(i need only 0.5 hp motor), and the vendor is saying that drive can run that motor easily,

and also which connection motor shall i use,between star and delta,

please suggest,thanks.

Dear,
i have got a allen bradley powerflex 4m(2 HP) AC drive,which is single phase input(240v) and 3 phase output,

the question is,some seniors are asking me to take 240v 3 phase motor,
i am not getting that motor in the market,i am getting 440v 3 phase(i need only 0.5 hp motor), and the vendor is saying that drive can run that motor easily,

and also which connection motor shall i use,between star and delta,

please suggest,thanks.

You need a motor you can wire for 240vac 3 phase. The drive is sized well for 1/2 HP. Perhaps you are overlooking a motor in your market that can be wired for low voltage but is advertised as high voltage, you would need to look at details to see wiring options... find the right motor for sure, electrically, and if the size fits physically and you have to go to 1hp to get a more common and cheaper motor, I would also do that.

I have not experimented much with what you are suggesting. I have programmed a vfd to run with 460vac input to operate a 230vac motor. You are wanting a high volts motor to run happily off of a much lower voltage supply. If you have a motor to put to test, I suppose you could just try it and monitor the current and performance to find out. They might be right, that it can work, not by the book, but because they have done it before...

Last edited:
I am not getting that motor in the market,i am getting 440v 3 phase(i need only 0.5 hp motor), and the vendor is saying that drive can run that motor easily,
Many 3-phase motors have windings that can be reconfigured from High Voltage to Low voltage by making different connection configurations to the 9 or 12 leads of the motor. Here those are often called "dual-voltage" motors, but the names varies by country.

You will almost certainly have a motor that has 6 terminals in its terminal box, where you use links to choose Star or Delta connection.

Motors of that size that I deal with, and probably you as well, have a dual voltage rating on the name plate.
Each winding in the motor is rated for 240 Volts, so if the supply is 240 V you wire the motor in Delta, and if the supply voltage is 415 you wire the motor in Star.

I read that you have a 240 volt single phase supply, to a 240 volt single phase drive, giving out 3 phase 240 volt to the motor,
So you would wire my example motor in Delta.