Sending a String to Excel from RSlogix5000

PLC_Newbie_18

Hello everyone, what I am trying to do is import a specific string directly into a cell in an excel sheet. I have been using the Copy DDE/OPC link in the rslinx program for the rest of my project but it will not allow me to copy a string directly. any help?

Maybe you are having an issue with the fact that "STRING" is a structure, not just the text. The first element is the length, and is a DINT. The second element is the array of characters.

Did you try sending "MyString.DATA" to Excel?

Im not using an VBA to do this. In RSLinx under the option tab is a way to do a "Copy DDE/OPC Link" and then paste it directly into an excel cell. Im trying to do the same with the string but the only option i am able to copy is the .len which ends up being a 9 for the length of the model number. For some reason it wont allow the copy of the actual value just the length. I am wondering if there is any other way without having to write and VBA code to be able to do this.

In RSlinx the tab OPC/Topic. The Topic is the connection path. It will be mapped to the PLC.

Right, and affix the element .DATA to the tagname.
A string isn't just a bunch of characters, it is part of a UDT structure. You need to access the text part, not the whole structure. Just like reading a specific field out of any UDT.