What size do you use?? 16-22-30 (panel building)

What size do you use?

• 16mm

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 22mm

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • 30mm

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have been expanding my business line and started to offer other things like push buttons, LED lamps, toggle switches, etc for panel building, I plan on offering a couple of lines Telemecanique, APT and a few others, maybe some day get into relays

I can not afford to carry everything so I wanted start to offer what most people are using, I am not a fan of 30mm sizes but if that is what will sell that is what I will start selling

I know a lot of you build panels or spec them out so I would like to know what you use more of 16mm, 22mm, 30mm or other. Also if there is anything that you use and is just a pain to find at a good price I would like to hear it.

Thank you
Mark

I have been expanding my business line and started to offer other things like push buttons, LED lamps, toggle switches, etc for panel building, I plan on offering a couple of lines Telemecanique, APT and a few others, maybe some day get into relays

I can not afford to carry everything so I wanted start to offer what most people are using, I am not a fan of 30mm sizes but if that is what will sell that is what I will start selling

I know a lot of you build panels or spec them out so I would like to know what you use more of 16mm, 22mm, 30mm or other. Also if there is anything that you use and is just a pain to find at a good price I would like to hear it.

Thank you
Mark

I was an old school 30mm guy for years and insisted that was in any panel I specified. But for the price and limited advantage of them I eventually switched to 22mm. I just can't justify the additional cost.

In over 30 years in automation, I have NEVER, not even once, replaced an AB 30mm button due to failure. I can almost say the same for Square-D 30mm buttons, though I have replaced one, maybe two, of those.

I have replaced a lot of 22mm Telemecanique (and others) due to failure, even a few AB and C-H 22mm buttons. I've been generally impressed by ABB's 22mm buttons.

In my role I am both the equipment builder and end user. I don't want to be replacing buttons and our control panels do take some abuse. So I spec 30mm AB 800 buttons. If I were an OEM I probably wouldn't be as picky, I would want the buttons to last long enough to be well past the warranty and customer satisfaction, but I wouldn't be installing expensive 'forever' buttons either. Telemecajunk seems to be the most common in the OEM market.

So, do you want to sell to a customer who will buy your stuff for a premium price because he knows he will never have to replace it, or do you want to cater to the replacement parts market making up lower margins with higher volume? Either one of those is a viable business model.

I'd have to agree with TConnolly. I replace a lot of 30mm AB contacts because of the dusty environment (sawmill), but only a couple actual buttons because of operator abuse. I've replaced more 22mm Telemechanique buttons, but the contacts are easier to replace, so we carry both.

I Stock all 22mm Schneider Electric (Telemecanique) operators and accessories.

When I first got on board this vessel there were many different manufacturer 22mm & 30mm devices being used and stocked.
All of these worked just fine and I did not necessarily find one better than the other.
In an effort to save space and consolidate inventory, I chose to go with Schneider 22mm products.
Have had very good results, with little problems except for the occasional e-stop that needs to be changed out.
(Although I believe this is more from the operators thinking they are Mike Tyson when hitting the estop than a problem with the product itself.)

BCS

In over 30 years in automation, I have NEVER, not even once, replaced an AB 30mm button due to failure. I can almost say the same for Square-D 30mm buttons, though I have replaced one, maybe two, of those.

I have replaced a lot of 22mm Telemecanique (and others) due to failure, even a few AB and C-H 22mm buttons. I've been generally impressed by ABB's 22mm buttons.

In my role I am both the equipment builder and end user. I don't want to be replacing buttons and our control panels do take some abuse. So I spec 30mm AB 800 buttons. If I were an OEM I probably wouldn't be as picky, I would want the buttons to last long enough to be well past the warranty and customer satisfaction, but I wouldn't be installing expensive 'forever' buttons either. Telemecajunk seems to be the most common in the OEM market.

So, do you want to sell to a customer who will buy your stuff for a premium price because he knows he will never have to replace it, or do you want to cater to the replacement parts market making up lower margins with higher volume? Either one of those is a viable business model.

I couldn't agree more. I am in the same builder/end user boat and although they are pricey, AB 30mm buttons are as bulletproof as they come. We had bought some equipment a while back with 22mm push buttons and indicator lights on them from Automation Direct. I want to say they were Eaton but I could be mistaken. Most of them got broken, I have since upsized the holes, (luckily they were spaced far enough apart) and installed 30mm AB's.

TConnolly,
You nailed it. AB bothers me for some stuff, but,
800T selectors, push buttons...May work for another 75 years?

(ASIA Country) part of my job are install/wiring machine that come from US/Europe/China/Taiwan/Japan them mostly use 22mm button