visual basic application on Panelview plus

realolman

Is it possible to use a VB.Net application on a panelview?

could someone direct me to where I might find some sort of guidance to do so?

thank you

Maybe.

If you build and compile the application to run in Windows CE 6.0 and on the same CPU architecture as your target PanelView Plus terminal (x86 for the big ones, ARM for the little ones) then you could install and run a VB.NET application on a PanelView Plus.

I'm not sure you'll get much guidance from RA on it, though. Even the partner company software like Cognex's viewers gets very little support outside of the target customer sites (i.e. GM).

No and why would you ever want to?

I think I could make nicer displays with VB than Factory Talk

I will admit to being not too experienced with creating displays with Factory Talk (while being quite experienced with activation problems ), so if you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

For instance: In VB you can draw on a picture box, using variable values, as a graph, and click ( hover, pass over, paint, or many other events ) on a picture box and use the co-ordinates of the click as inputs for calculations or whatever... Maybe you can do that on a Panelview using Factory Talk ...I don't know... is that possible?

I would like to chart the levels of laser measurements on an XY chart and the operator could touch the chart and move a pass/fail line up and down right on the chart... I'm sure it could be done with buttons and stuff, but I think coolness counts... both to the operator and the programmer... maybe more to the programmer

I know you can trend. Can you click on the trend window and use the co-ordinates of the click as inputs to tags?

thank you

Last edited:
I must admit when we started using Panelview instead of RSView32, I gave up on AB touch panels and this period when AB changed sub-supplier on there touch panels somewhere in Asia, where 1 out of 3 failed, just nailed it and i never got back to use then, unless it's a specific requirement from the customer.

There are some very nice systems out there, cheaper and just as reliable as any AB screen and it will do just what you are looking for, and your development time will be less than 20% of your VB project.

If you what to use a SCADA solution, you can go even further with all most no limitations.
/Holmux

I ran Archies AdvancedHMI on a PanelView Plus a while back for fun. I had to use a really old version of AdvancedHMI because the newer versions don't support the compact .net framework. Also it had to be a V6 terminal and I had to get a hold of VS2008 in order to get CE Support.

As far as I know there is no way to get the touch coordinates back on a PVP.

Realolmon, you should check out AdvancedHMI and something like IVC Displays if you are interested in making VB based HMI packages that talk to AB PLC's.

There are some things that PanelView Plus is very good at, but trending is not one of them. You're going to be disappointed with the XY trend, as it's not really a chart but rather a two-dimensional time series.

I've considered re-using some PV+ terminals by configuring them to not start FactoryTalk View at bootup and installing Indusoft Web Studio instead. Vastly superior trending and pointer interaction.

I think I could make nicer displays with VB than Factory Talk

I will admit to being not too experienced with creating displays with Factory Talk (while being quite experienced with activation problems ), so if you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

For instance: In VB you can draw on a picture box, using variable values, as a graph, and click ( hover, pass over, paint, or many other events ) on a picture box and use the co-ordinates of the click as inputs for calculations or whatever... Maybe you can do that on a Panelview using Factory Talk ...I don't know... is that possible?

I would like to chart the levels of laser measurements on an XY chart and the operator could touch the chart and move a pass/fail line up and down right on the chart... I'm sure it could be done with buttons and stuff, but I think coolness counts... both to the operator and the programmer... maybe more to the programmer

I know you can trend. Can you click on the trend window and use the co-ordinates of the click as inputs to tags?

thank you

I have to disagree with your approach. A PanelView+ is a PanelView+ for a reason, it's good at what it CAN do, but limited in what it CAN do. Trying to hack a PanelView+ to run some odd-ball display software and put it into production is "not-cool". If it's just an "extra" and you're just playing around, by-all means waste time on it.

Even if you could do what you want, it's a PanelView touch screen, nothing compared to our smart phone touch screens. Trying to use your finger to point somewhere accurately on the screen is not a fun experience. You certainly won't be able to move your pass/fail line from 1.1 to 1.5 accurately on a PanelView+

I would invest your time on a proof-of-concept that is actually viable for future investment. AdvancedHMI, Indosoft as mentioned, I'll throw out Ignition as well. Use it on an actual PC.