Print Making Advice

Tim Ganz

I know that when showing wiring and components in another machine or cabinet a dashed line box should be used but I need a way to show a difference on the prints for I/O that goes to a field device and I/O that goes to a device in the control panel.

What is the best way to do this?

I also need a way to show which components are existing / customer supplied and set them apart from I/O devices we provide even when they land on the same I/O card?

You could use a dashed line perpendicular to the circuit line to denote where it passes to the outside of the enclosure. I often use a centerline linetype for this purpose.

For customer supplied stuff, I just use dashed lines to show their wiring.

🍻

-Eric

You mean dashed lines for the wire itself instead of a solid line for the wire?

Is the perpendicular line the standard way to mark field devices vs in cabinet devices?

You mean dashed lines for the wire itself instead of a solid line for the wire?

Yes, meaning the wiring does not exist when the machine is delivered.

Is the perpendicular line the standard way to mark field devices vs in cabinet devices?

I don't know how 'standard' it is, but I do it to show where things are physically located. Attached is an example. The 'Alloyd Panel' is a separate enclosure, with connections to a PLC within that enclosure. The dashed boxes simply show where you can expect to find the connections. Let's say you're tracing the wire back from input X15, you know that terminal #0006 will be in the Alloyd Panel, and NOT in my cabinet.

🍻

-Eric

Clipboard01.jpg