380 VAC Phase Colors

Tim Ganz

I have a 480 to 380 volt transformer to wire up to power a Rexroth servo drive.

Brown, Orange, Yellow for the 480 phasing but what are the proper colors for the 380 side? I have been searching the internet but can't seem to find this.

Any ideas?

I don't think there are any NEC regulations that specifically state what color to use. In some locations there are local codes, but nothing in the NEC. Most commonly accepted practice in the US is to use Brown-Orange-Yellow for 480/277 and Black-Red-Blue for 208/120. Because 380 is not a common voltage, there is not a commonly accepted practice, so just do what you think it best and label everything. IMO, if just be sure to correctly label the ends H1-H2-H3 X1-X2-X3 and even a color blind electrician can work on it.

Last edited:
Is this for use in the US and your are using a transformer to get the 380? I probably would not use 480 colors (confusion).

There is no NEC standard for 380V.

In regards to 380V color coding internationally.....almost every country has their own color code.....arghhhh.

Is this for use in the US and your are using a transformer to get the 380? I probably would not use 480 colors (confusion).

Maybe good confusion though. 480v colors on the output might prevent people from ***uming it's a 480v to 208v step down transformer and hooking something 208v/120v to it.

There is no NEC standard for 380V.

In regards to 380V color coding internationally.....almost every country has their own color code.....arghhhh.

We are using black wires for 400V/230V supply since 1970's.đź“š

Brown Black and Grey, Blue neutral here in UK, regardless of the voltage. Colours should stay the same, so problems can be found if one of the phases should have a problem.

Brown Black and Grey, Blue neutral here in UK, regardless of the voltage. Colours should stay the same, so problems can be found if one of the phases should have a problem.

Problem is, grey is considered a neutral color here in the US, and blue is considered a phase color. That color scheme might cause more problems than it would solve.

-rpoet