Logix5000 - AOI and UDTs

devo.xx

I've been writing this code for some time now. It is growing and growing as I get farther in to it.

Now I've had to go back a couple of times and add another BOOL/DINT to another part of my system. But now I am looking at my Tags and am confusing myself a bit...

I'll give an example for my pumps:
There is a Pump_UDT, and a Pump_AOI.
In the UDT, I have all my Setpoints, Run Times and ALARMS. Basically anything that the HMI needs to display. This is defined under "CONTROLLER TAGS"
In the AOI, I have all the IO from the cards, Timers, Internal "Working" bools (OSRs etc.)... Basically the stuff I am using to actually run the equipment, but the HMI doesn't need to see it. This is defined under "PROGRAM TAGS"

The AOI takes the UDT as an InOut Parameter to load the Setpoints and whatnot.

Can I just roll them all together and reference the AOI "Tag" on the HMI? ie. P111_AOI.ALARMS as an Output Parameter
If I am referencing an AOI Parameter, does it have to exist as an Out or InOut in order for the HMI to be able to read it?
--- I'm guessing the "Local Tags" can't be seen by the HMI, since I can't reference them outside the AOI.

System:
ControlLogix 1756-71 v21.11 in Studio5000
PanelView Plus 1000, with the most current firmware (haven't actually started the HMI part yet)

When setting up Local tags for an AOI you can set 'External Access'. It defaults to 'None' but you can change that to 'Read' or 'Read/Write'. It sounds like you want the 'Read' option.

Last edited:
Wheen setting up Local tags for an AOI you can set 'External Access'. It defaults to 'None' but you can change that to 'Read' or 'Read/Write'. It sounds like you want the 'Read' option.

Alright. So it looks like I can change those values using an external MOV command for any of the Setpoints. Hopefully the HMI replicates basically the same thing ;)
I can also use an External MOV to read the "ALARMS" outputs and stuff...

I think I'll just roll the UDTs in to the AOI so I don't go cross-eyed trying to find variables.