Torque motor and maximum current

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to all,

I have one dilemma and hope someone here will be able to help me.
In our plant we're using Electro-hydraulic actuator that moves control spool in order to control the turbine control valves.
I have no specific data about the torque motor that is built in this proportional actuator (TM 25 LP) except this:
Coil Resistance (at 21 °C / 70 °F)
26 Ω (single-coil)

Maximum Coil Current:
250 mA TM-25LP single coil

Due to some test by accident current around 300 mA was applied to the torque motor inside this actuator for about 13 sec. We I noticed this, I immediately measured coil resistance and it was OK (around 27 ohm).

Right now, since the pumps are in overhaul I have no chance to test the actuator but need to decide whether I need to send this actuator back to the supplier for further tests or not. Personally, I don't believe that 50 mA more will damage the motor but don't have experience.

All I know can be found in the attached datasheet. Is there some other test I can make to see if the motor is damaged or not?

Thank you

If you over current the valve it is simply a matter of time before is will over heat but for short periods of time you should be OK. I doubt you did any damage to the valve if the resistance is OK and any insulation didn't burn or melt.

We do this sort of thing all the time to speed up valve response only we use about 2.5 times the rated current. We still get many millions of cycles out of the valves because we have tested this. We are making the valve driver board in this case for a specific valve and the duty cycle is quite low.

Thank you for the answer Peter. The thing is that I don't have means to test this actuator now, but don't want to wait before start of the plant with diagnostics in order to avoid unnecessary delays.
This torque motor is built in the actuator so don't know about the insulation.
In the datasheet is written that the coil is for 20...200mA and the maximum current is 250 mA.