RSNetworx and 1769-SDN DeviceNet module

MJSE

Hi all

I added the 1769_SDN to L43 controller, I run RSNetworx and it says the 1769-SDN is not registered so I try to import and register the EDS file that I downloaded from Rockwell server, after the wizard finished still there is a big ? mark on 1769-SDN ! can you help me how to fix this issue please?

Thanks in advance for any help

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
Reboot the PC, create a new project file, and re-browse the network.

What version of RSNetworx are you using ? What version of RSLinx Classic ? What version of RSLogix 5000 ?

If you upgrade to Studio 5000 v21, you need to upgrade to RSLinx Classic 3.6 and RSNetworkx 21 as well; there was a big change and pre-21 versions just don't mix.

Ken after I register the 1769 on RSNetworks should I do anything else on RSLogix 5000 or not? I am new in DeviceNet please advice me how I can set it up.

For ordinary non-Safety devices, RSNetworx and RSLinx are the only software involved in configuring the scanlist.

Those versions ought to work fine together.

Maybe try deleting the driver in RSNetworx and re-creating it. Or deleting the Harmony.RSH and Harmony.HRC files in the \RSCOMMON directory to reset all the RSLinx driver configurations.

Ken I reboot the PC and created a new project in RSLogix 5000 and added 1769 module to it , now what is next step, run RSLinx Clasic or RSNetworx ?

I run Diagnostic on RSNetworx and it shows a warning saying "The DeviceNet Scanner in Idle mode" can it be the cause of issue?

MJSE said:
Thanks Ken, I am using:

- RSNetWorx 11.00
- RSLinx Classic v3.51.01
- RSLogix 5000 v20.01.00

Ken Roach said:
...Those versions ought to work fine together...

Not quite...

RSLinx Classic v3.51 or higher installs the new EDS Subsystem, which uses an SQL Database. RSNetWorx v11 cannot currently access this newer Database as it still registers and accesses its EDS files using the older Windows Registry method.

Some info...

499727 - Software Compatibility requirements with the new Version 21 EDS subsystem
Access Level: Everyone

Normally you would have to upgrade your RSNetWorx to v21 minimum, and subsequently, RSLogix 5000 to Studio 5000 v21 minimum. However, earlier this year Rockwell released a patch that will allow RSNetWorx v10.01 or v11 to access the newer EDS Database. This is useful for anyone, such as yourself, who have inadvertently updated the EDS Subsystem and still need, or want to use the older versions of RSNetWorx...

578291 - Patch: EDS upgrade forces all products to be upgraded, RSNetWorx 10.01/11.00
Access Level: Everyone

Here is a more detailed TechNote on the newer EDS Subsystem and how it works and affects certain products. It was updated just last week to add Solution 1, which is the same patch linked above...

530781 - Products show yellow/gray questions marks after upgrade
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

I would try the patch first as it's the quickest, hopefully, path to resolving your issue. Although, even if it solves your RSNetWorx issue, you will most likely run into issues with your RSLogix v20.01.00 and the new EDS Database at some point in the future.

If you want to go backward, I would just go back to RSLinx Classic v2.59, which is the last version before the v3.51 EDS cut-off point.

Simply un-installing RSLinx Classic will not remove the new EDS file Subsystem, as it is installed as an RS system-wide component, so other software can access it. It is primarily installed in the RSCommon folder, so once you have un-installed RSLinx Classic v3.51.01, you must then delete the RSCommon folder, and then install RSLinx Classic v2.59.

NB: It is necessary to un-install only RSLinx Classic in this case, as it is the only installed software package at the newer EDS Subsystem level. If trying to remove or reinstall the EDS Subsystem on a system that has more than one EDS Subsystem level software packages installed, then all of them must be un-installed before deleting the RSCommon folder.

p.s. I would recommend making a backup a copy of the RSCommon folder before removing it, just in case something goes terribly wrong.

Regards,
George

Thanks George,

I prefer to go backward to RSLinx Classic v2.59 as I am a little worried about having issues with RSLogix 5000 v20.01.00 that you have mentioned.

George, thank you for those details.

Definitely don't go back any further than RSLinx Classic 2.59. Versions 1.70 and 2.10 are literally more than a decade out of date and might not even support Windows XP.

Before going back, I am running the RSLinx Classic now, I can see the two large icons of 1769-DSN and IO block BNI DNT-302-000-Z005 that I connected it to the 1769-SDN, without any question mark on them. I wonder if I can use just RSLinx Classic to setup , configure and use the IO block or I have to use RSNetworks as well? I just want to connect some sensors and solenoids to the IO block at the moment to see how it works.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

5.jpg

Last edited: