RS-232 to RS-485 converter

mohammad2060

hi all ,
i want to use of RS-232 to RS-485 converter , what is the numeric slave id for Device that Support RS-232 ?
slave id is not clear In the catalog (for Device RS-232) .

The ID is whatever the manufacturer set it to, or they may let you set it to whatever you like, this will be in the slave's documentation.

If the device is only RS-232 to start with, I suspect that there is no slave ID number in the device because RS-232 is a point-to-point comm protocol that does not support multiple devices, or multidrops. Why have an ID for a protocol that does not talk to more than one device?

There is likely a commercial 232/485 converter module available that might take an assignment of an ID number to act as a multidrop port on a 485 network.

Dan

my mean is that When we use of this converter (in a RS-485 network). How should place this Device in network . because We need slave ID.
so, This converter can not be used , because We need slave ID for connect to master Devices (for example PLC ) ?
this device is only RS-232

my mean is that When we use of this converter in a RS-485 network. How should place this Device in network . because We need slave ID.
so,do This converter can not be used ? , because We need slave ID for connect to master Devices (for example PLC ) ?

I agree with Steve Bailey.

The converter doesn´t have an ID #.
All you need, is to tell the software in the PC the number of the port the converter is connected to (RS232 or USB port).
You can use an RS232 or USB converter.

I was just doing this the other day.
You need an actual converter with power supply, unless your application can output 485 through some of the 232 wires (my company used a HMI that could output 485 through it's 232 port, using only some of the pins).

However, part of the reason 485 is so successful is that it has two wires twisted around each other, which balances the noise on each and allows it to be easily accounted for and cleaned out. 232 wire is not like this; you will accumulate noise far easier with 232 than with 485.

If you have more questions, I can give a more in-depth answer, but it appears that you merely want to obtain a converter (~107 USD) and plug it in, along with a power supply.

PS: Make sure you are using terminating resistors on both ENDS of the 485 cable; 120 Ohms works best; don't worry about the power used, 485 is made to have a resistor at both ends to clean up reflected signals.

PS: Make sure you are using terminating resistors on both ENDS of the 485 cable; 120 Ohms works best; don't worry about the power used, 485 is made to have a resistor at both ends to clean up reflected signals.

True but check the adapters documentation before adding a resistor. Some of them have one built in.