Allen Bradley Information Input

I is a noob

Was selected from a large group of peers to learn AB. Used one back in college but haven't set eyes on one since. I was given the software for them (Studio 5000!!!) and using compactlogix l32e. Do they program the same as ControLogix? If you had a choice, what higher family controller would you train on so that my time spent training will cover more that just the covering the compactlogix. I just want to make the most of my time and money.

Sounds like you have the latest and greatest.
The Logix5000 covers the Control and Compact Logix lines from A.B. and if this is what you are learning on then you are spending your time well.

BCS

Anything that you can use Studio 5000 on will be largely the same. In fact, the training is less Control/Compact oriented and more Studio 5000 general AB philosophy oriented.

Studio 5000 is just a renamed RSLogix 5000 which is the programming software for ControlLogix and CompactLogix. Programming for the two hardware platforms is essentially the same (although there are obvious hardware differences). The problem you will have is Studio 5000 starts at version 21 (also firmware v21) and I believe the L32E only supports up to V20. So I don't think you will be able to program the L32E with Studio 5000.

Open Studio 5000, create a new project and see what controllers are available...

True! This was the deal breaker. Looks like someone bought software without doing homework! Thanks a bunch. Gotta see what we can do moving from here. Training on hold....

I'm not very familiar with how Rockwell does licensing, but I believe that if you have a license for a higher version, you can install any of the lower versions with it.

I'm not very familiar with how Rockwell does licensing, but I believe that if you have a license for a higher version, you can install any of the lower versions with it.

That is correct. Go here and enter your company name and serial number and you will be able to download the version you need.

As a footnote, you can have multiple versions of RSLogix5000 (Studio5000) installed at the same time.