Download Programm from Controllogix

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear All,

Most of our buisiness is done with Siemens Equipment but in the past we have used quite a lot RSlogix500.
I have not used RSlogix5000 and a client wants me to troubleshoot his machine. Please attached the type and firmware of the processor.
Please correct me if I am wrong but is it true that for each firmware, there is a diffirent version of RSlogix5000 and that the FW versions are not backward compatible (e.g. RSlogix5000 V20 cannot program a FW V19 CPU)?
If that is the case then in my mind is that this is a major disadvantage for integrators that dont use RSlogix5000 often.

I believe that this CPU has a really old firmware. If I need to get the appropriate version of RSlogix5000 from AB, will this still be available although it is an old version?

Regards

1756_L1A.jpg

Yes, it's a disadvantage for integrators who don't use ControlLogix often. I personally have all the RSLogix software to cover the past eight years or so on my virtual machines.

The date code on the processor is July 2000.

Those 1756-L1 controllers could be loaded with firmware versions 2 through 13, so although the sticker says it has v5, it could be anything else.

RA's website only hosts the downloads for versions 10 and up, but users with current support contracts can get earlier software directly from RA.

The first step I would take is to install RSLinx Classic and connect to the serial port of the controller. Browsing to the controller in the RSLinx "RSWho" network browse, right-clicking and selecting "Properties" will show you the exact firmware revision that is installed in the processor, so you can obtain the appropriate version of RSLogix 5000.

You're correct, for each CPU firmware version is a RSLogix version. But you can update an CPU firmware version. The CPU you got here can have an update till firmware version 13. You need ControlFlash software to do the firmware update.

RSLogix5000 is not downwards compatible, you need the right version on your computer.

Jack

Two important notes because we are all cooperating in English:

1. If you load new firmware onto the controller the user program will be erased. Do not attempt to load firmware in order to get RSLogix 5000 compatibility unless you have a backup copy of the current user program.

2. In Rockwell vocabulary:

"Upload" means transferring the user program from the Controller to your PC.
"Download" means transferring the user program from your PC to the Controller.

I really do NOT want to further complicate this matter ...

but ...

are you SURE that the battery in that processor was good (at least "good enough") when you removed it from the chassis to take that picture? ...

the point is that if the battery happened to be bad (or too weak) then there might not still be a program in the processor to be uploaded ...

(that would be "bad") ...

highly recommended:

put the processor back in the chassis, and see if you can get the processor to go into the RUN mode – by putting the key into the RUN position ... note that this could start up your machinery - so be sure to consider the safety aspects involved ...

cross your fingers ...

the processor's OK LED should be solid green ...
the processor's RUN LED should be solid green ...
the processor's I/O LED should NOT be completely OFF ...

if you get any other conditions, then post again and tell us exactly what you see ...

secret handshake:

it is possible to put a ControlLogix processor into the RUN mode, even if there is ZERO program installed ... and the OK LED can still light up solid green ...

the indication of the I/O LED is extremely important in determining whether or not the processor actually has an existing program installed ...

hopefully this is nothing that you need to worry about – but you definitely need to consider it ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

I would imagine that a FW update means loss of the CPU software.
In RSlogix5000 when you Upload do you get the comments and symbols if the original programer chose to be like so? (e.g. Modicon M340)?

Edit:
Ron,

Checking the battery is on top of our checklist when we remove a CPU from the rack.
After the CPU was removed it was checked that the PLC Runs as before.

Your point is very important though as what you described happened twice in the same client from the same maintenance guy:
1. Once with an S5 CPU where we ended up writing the software in step5 from a hard copy
2. Once for a Modigon - AEG A120 (1989!!) PLC which had a MS-DOS programming software called Dolog. Fortunatelly the manufacturer from Austria was so well organised
that using the machine S/N sent us the source code within a few hours.

This maintenance guy is long gone from that company.

Last edited:
The modern ControlLogix 1756-L7 family controllers and Studio 5000 software can save the comments and descriptions in the controller, but earlier generations did not.

the battery situation is "good news" ...

TIP:

IF (big IF) you have a backup copy of the project file (.ACD extension) then you can open that file with Wordpad ... there will be a header at the top of the file ... the LAST entry in the header will show you what version of the RSLogix 5000 software was used to save that particular copy of the file ...

IF (another big IF) that project file is current, then the version information from the header should help you identify what version of RSLogix 5000 you'll need ...

IMPORTANT ... do NOT save the file after opening it with Wordpad, etc. ... a corrupted file may result ... so just close the file without saving it ...

I think Ken's suggestion

The first step I would take is to install RSLinx Classic and connect to the serial port of the controller. Browsing to the controller in the RSLinx "RSWho" network browse, right-clicking and selecting "Properties" will show you the exact firmware revision that is installed in the processor, so you can obtain the appropriate version of RSLogix 5000.

In the past I have done what is described above with a Compactlogix CPU, so I think thats what I will do again.

Thanks

yes, that is absolutely the best way ...

when I suggested the alternate (Wordpad) approach, I just wasn't sure that you had RSLinx available ... you're going to need it eventually to do the upload operation - but knowing the RSLogix 5000 version up front is sometimes helpful ...