FT View v7 Startup Macro - Tags in Expression

kalimoto1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use a startup macro in my manual mode HMI application to copy the current state of my outputs to the inputs so the machine does not move or change state when switching between auto and manual modes. However, when I run the application on my PanelView Plus400 HMI, I'm immediately greeted with errors like

"<macro expression>: Unable to read the expression"
"Read from <tag> failed"

This only occurs for lines that set a tag's value to another's; if I set the tag to just a numeric value (like in the first line of the sample below), its executes just fine.
This is also long after the plc has booted (manual mode is not the startup application), and the HMI has no trouble communicating to these tags during operation.
They are RSLinx Enterprise tags, I think - not HMI tags; they only exist in the controller / ladder. I'm able to successfully browse to them online.
Also, the expression editor reports the "tag = tag" syntax is valid.
Lastly, I'm using FT View v7, but I'm creating v5.10 runtime applications.

Here is an excerpt of the macro:

{[Gage]MANUAL.MODE_ON} = 1;
{[Gage]MANUAL.STATION_1_ESC_CLAMP_EXT} = {::[Gage]Program:Station_1.STATION_1_ESC_CLAMP_EXT_SOL};
{[Gage]MANUAL.STATION_1_MOV_CLAMP_EXT} = {::[Gage]Program:Station_1.STATION_1_MOV_CLAMP_EXT_SOL};
{[Gage]MANUAL.STATION_1_PROBE_EXT} = {::[Gage]Program:Station_1.STATION_1_PART_PROBE_EXT_SOL};
{[Gage]MANUAL.STATION_1_ROTATE} = {::[Gage]Program:Station_1.STATION_1_ROT_180_SOL};
{[Gage]MANUAL.STATION_1_SLIDE_EXT} = {::[Gage]Program:Station_1.STATION_1_SLIDE_EXT_SOL};
... and so on...

Worst case, I could write some ladder that latches or unlatches the inputs off of a one shot from the manual mode on bit, but I'd rather not put a 50 branch level rung into the code just for this. The macro would be a more elegant way of handling it.

I've searched everywhere, and the manual's not been any help - maybe I don't know what to look for.

Thanks for your time everyone,

I strongly suggest handling all of that in the PLC. FTView communications is definitely not something I would rely on for block updates like that.

If you are using FTView actually for control, then I'd suggest rethinking your control strategy.

The control and all permissives and interlocks are handled in the PLC. This manual mode is mostly intended to aid the operator in during machine setup and troubleshooting. The first line of the macro activates a contact that takes the machine out of normal logic and allows the operator to actuate various parts of the machine individually. This HMI only provides access to the manual motion contacts. There is a separate HMI used for normal/auto operation that does not provide these features and is in an independent branch of logic.

Last edited:
Update: Tried running the HMI application from the development computer while connected to the HMI over ethernet. The macro works in this case; if I run it on the dev pc unconnected or on the HMI alone (connected to the system of course), I get the "unable to read expression" errors.

What could this point to?