PLC controlled length stop for saw

tsmutz5

Hi guys. I’m looking for input on this project. Any help is hugely appreciated!

I’m in the planning phase of building an automatic length stop/pusher for a cold saw (later on I’ll start working on further automating the saw but for now the length stop is enough).
Something like a Tigerstop is what I’m going for (see video) http://youtu.be/iWUQ4dEgT-k?t=14s

I’ve got a good handle on the mechanical aspect of the build.

What I’m looking to accomplish is two modes

Absolute mode work flow:
• punch in a position for the carriage (stop) to travel to,
• operator clamps the material
• cut
• unclamp
• remove piece
• punch in new position
• repeat

Push mode work flow:
• Load material
• End trim cut
• Punch in cut length
• Carriage pushes material to length + saw kerf parameter
• Cut
• Unclamp
• Punch in new length
• Carriage pushes material to length + saw kerf parameter
• repeat

This is what I’m thinking of using for hardware.

1: Velocio Ace 11 – 6 digital in, 6 digital out
http://velocio.net/ace/

1: Operator interface touch pad / screen. I don’t know which type yet.

1: Hybrid stepper motor to drive carriage
www.ebay.com/itm/151337079860?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1: Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch NPN DC6-36V for homing
www.ebay.com/itm/371031316393?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tyler

Why not buy a Tiger Stop? Unless you are going to make a lot of them it is hard to justify what it will cost to develop one from scratch.

First you start with the state machine or sequencer to implement the steps you have laid out above. However, the steps that cause motion will have sub-steps because motion usually requires an accelerate, constant velocity, decelerate and stop steps. The video showed the home step that may also have a few steps.

It would take a long time to cover all the details it would take to make something like a Tiger Stop.