Is Anyone Willing to Test AdvancedHMI with ModbusRTU Devices

Archie

A ModbusRTU driver has been added to AdvancedHMI and is now considered stable. However most of the testing has only been done with a simulator and an AutomationDirect Click PLC. I would like to get more testing with various PLCs and devices that support ModbusRTU.

If anyone could do some testing on other devices and provide feedback, it would be much appreciated. The latest version 3.68 can be downloaded from the AdvancedHMI web site or directly from this link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/?source=directory

For anyone not familiar with AdvancedHMI, it is a free HMI development package based on Microsoft Visual Studio and works with the free version of Visual Studio Express for Desktop which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40787

Archie i will do some testing once I get of the road from these startups.
i have several PLC setting around. MicroLogix , CompactLogix, RedLion,micro 800, a few Automation Direct,

A few questions. Is Advanced HMI a master or slave? Did you allow an offset to be used? Some devices start at 0 some at 1.
I like the way RedLion gas all the options in thier driver

The AdvancedHMI driver is a Modbus master, it initiates the read/write requests. It does use the offset, so for example to read the first element of the holding registers, you would use the address 40001

The driver determines function codes based on the first digit of the address.
Code:
Address
First Digit         Read Function Code       Write Function Code
0                         1                          5,15
1                         2
3                         4                                 
4                         3                          6,16

These are some addresses I have been testing with the Click PLC:

40001 = DS1
345056 = T1 accumulator
045057 = T1 Done bit
008194 = Y2

AdvHMI 368 ModbusRTU tested OK

Hello Archie ,

I tested V 368 with Delta PLC and BrixController on ModbusRTU.
This version works OK and error handling is better than previous ones .
Earlier versions used to give nullexception error if no reply was received . Some cases write register function was actually unable to write data to slaves.

But so far V 368 is error free .
I reduced timeouts and sleep timers to 50 ms , still driver works OK .

Presently I am using V 368 for communicating to 9 BrixTransmitters , reading 16 registers each .
On single com port I could poll these slaves by changing station address after every read .
This task is completed in 900 msec . Occasionally if a slave does not respond in time , V 368 gracefully goes to next node .

Further testing is ON .

Regards,

Shriram Pendse
:oops:

Presently I am using V 368 for communicating to 9 BrixTransmitters , reading 16 registers each .
On single com port I could poll these slaves by changing station address after every read .
This task is completed in 900 msec . Occasionally if a slave does not respond in time , V 368 gracefully goes to next node .
Thanks Shriram for the feedback. During my testing with the Click PLC, I had a small problem with it not responding if the next request was sent in less than 10ms after the last response was received. In this latest version I had to put in a minimum of a 10ms delay in between packets to keep it from pausing every 3-4 seconds while waiting for a timeout to occur.

What baud rate do you have your communications set to?

AdvHMI 368 ModbusRTU

Hello Archie,

I have used baud rate 19200 , 8 , None , 1 for this application .

Previously I had used 38400 baud . Both are well supported . ModbusRTU slaves have 10 Msec response delay .

Physical distance of total Rs485 network is 100 Ft .

Regards
Shriram Pendse

I posted a version 3.69 that has some additional improvements to the ModbusRTU driver. I fixed a problem that was causing it to miss packets once in a while.

Hello Archie ,

Earlier versions used to give nullexception error if no reply was received . Some cases write register function was actually unable to write data to slaves.

But so far V 368 is error free .

Further testing is ON .

Regards,

Shriram Pendse
:oops:

hello shriram sir,
which delta plc (Model) you used? is it got connected direct or we need some converter for it.
thanks in advance

Almost all Delta PLCs have Modbus RTU protocol on Rs232 as well as RS485 ports.
D0 address is 404097 and so on . All details available on Scada manuals on Delta site .
Same things apply for AdvancedHMI .