Setting up a VFD for pump testing

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

Got a new "Challenge" from my boss. Due to a mix up on a order I have a extra PowerFlex 755 VFD on hand. The boss has asked me to set it up so that we can use it to flow test our measurement skids. The VFD is rated for a 75 HP motor and we would use it on pumps that have 10 to 75 HP motors.

What I would like to do is connect the drive to a CompactLogix 1769-L16ER and a HMI via Ethernet/IP. I have a Red Lion G306 and a Panel View + 600 to chose from on this project.

Here is where I am a little stuck - I want to set up the system so that the shop guys can enter the motor data (HP, FLA, RPM) into the VFD via the HMI. I want to stay away from them having to use a laptop to program that info into the drive. Any idea how I can get access to those parameters via a HMI? What HMI would be best for this project? Do I even need a PLC? Can a PV or G306 access a PF755 parameters by itself?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!!

One issue you need to be aware of. You should not (not saying you CAN'T) use the drive on motors less than 50% of the lowest HP size in any given frame. So assuming yours is a Frame 6, 75HP is in fact the lowest HP size, so you should not use it for motors below 40HP. The reason is, the current sensing devices used in the drive are accurate within a range. So at below 50% of the lowest range, the ability for those devices to properly protect the motor down stream is compromised. 30HP, probably not so much, but 10HP? I would be very very careful there. As a test stand, probably OK, just don't take anything for granted on those smaller motors.

Something has to be the brains in your little network. The VFD and HMIs are tools, not brains, so the PV or RL HMIs lack the ability to communicate directly with the VFD. But if you have the Compact Logix in the loop, it can be set up as the 'brain" with Logix5000 to talk to both the HMI and the VFD, so it will act as a buffer, all via Ethernet. Tags etc. will all become discoverable automatically in Logix5000 for you once you get your little network set up. You will need FactoryTalk Machine Edition at least for the HMI however, if it's not already loaded on it.

The Red Lion will not be automatic, you will have to set all that up yourself. But the trick to that, if you want to try, is to write your Logix5000 program FIRST, then the Crimson software should, I think, be able to go in and grab tag information from it.

Last edited:
If all that you want to accomplish is send change some parameters, send a command word, and send a speed reference to the drive you can accomplish that with only a red lion g3 and the drive. Anything more complicated than that and you will require a Plc to run the test sequence.

The red lion does not have a faceplate for the 755 so you would have to make one. The panel view has one but is about twice the price. I would go with an ab Plc so that you can make use of the AOP.

In this case you would set up data links or explicit messages between the drive and Plc then just change the data being sent with the HMI.

jraef,
Thanks for that info. I did not know about the hazards of using motors smaller than the VFD is designed for. I will have to be careful. Most of our pumps are 25hp and larger.

I have done a project with the CompactLogix and a 755 before so I am comfortable with the interface between the two. The issue I have is that when I look at the tags available to me in RSL5K for the drive I do not see any tags for the Motor data. Just tags related to alarms, speed and some status points.

I guess my question is how do I write to the PF parameters via a PLC if there are no tags available?

Bullzi,

I think you will need to setup datalinks.
Double click on your drive in 5000-> General Tab Click Change Button and that where you will setup you datalinks.

HTH

you can probably operate the VFD directly from the HMI (without PLC).
I've controlled Yaskawa drives using only a G3.
Certainly, you'll need a safety circuit.