Moving a EE Prom from SLC 504 to 503

debeuu2

Lifetime Supporting Member
I got a failed SLC-504, swapped out with a on the shelf 503. Not sure if my files are latest/greatest from the original 504. I swapped the EE-Proms, but the 503 LEDs go to nothing after the swap out. Both Proms are a M11. Please help.

Thanks Dravik. The 5/04 is completely gone. The OEM told me it was possible, so I tried, to no avail. I dumped the latest program file on archive, and is working less the last 10 years of tweaking, that we will have to begin again. Thanks for the help.

The LEDs being off (except for the power supply) would be normal. Be aware that the program does not automatically transfer on power-up. It has to have been originally saved that way to the EEPROM module. So your 5/03 is just powering up normally.

So what is in the 5/03 is whatever was in there the last time it was powered off (or it is empty). See if you can go online with the 5/03 and then use the RSLogix software to transfer the project from the EEPROM to the 5/03 memory. Look under the Communications menu. If I recall correctly that is where the option is found.

If you cannot go online with the 5/03 you can create a new empty project and download it to the 5/03 and then go online. Then transfer your application from the EEPROM to the controller.

The memory module is certainly compatible and when you load it you will get messages about the wrong CPU but it will offer to correct that setting. Be aware that any communications or networking obviously won't work since it uses a different type of network. And, as long as the project will actually fit into the (likely) smaller memory of the 5/03, it should be good to go.

OG