Siemens powerhouse module and SST card

Sekeeley

Has anyone used a SST profibus card for the SLC to communicate to Siemens powerhouse modules? If so I could use a copy of the SLC ladder for a project that I am working on. The SST web site seems to have plenty of manuals but is lacking in the code department.

Hello sekeely;
I am not sure I understand your question exactly. If you are using the SLC as a Profibus master, there should be no coding necessary to implement communications. There is a configuration utility (from SST, in your case) that allows you to reserve specific memory areas for the data exchange with the slave (what memory areas are required depend on the slave setup and the required values exchanged). Once the Profibus configuration is integrated in the SLC memory, you should have direct access to the reserved memory areas you selected; then you program your code to read/write to those areas, and make decisions based on the values from the slave.
This is very general, as you have given no information on the type of slave you are planning to use. But it should apply to any type of Profibus link.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier

I am using the SST profibus card as a master. I have not used profibus before so correct me if I am mistaken but aren't the powerhouse modules the slaves and the SST scanner is the master?
I need to have information on the addressing for the information (input, output, error bits) in the SLC. Any sample PLC code would be very useful.

Hello sekeely;
Please specify what you mean by "Siemens powerhouse modules" (model and part no.); this way, if someone on this forum has worked with these modules they can tell you what to expect in terms of memory locations required by that module.
With the module you should have recieved a *.gsd file (the extension could be GSD, GSE, GDF....); this is a configuration file for Profibus communications. You have to integrate it in the Profibus configurator program in order to configurate your network (you can also open it with Notepad or any text editor if you want to see what is inside). It will give you the different memory options accepted by your module; you have to choose what options you need.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

First time user with SST, can't find state side support, need canned PLC ladder, need GSDs for devices, ect..

===============================================================

I have been to to the promised land of profibus and have seen the blessings. But I worked my tail off getting there.

============================================================

Email: [email protected]

What you need to be looking for is support from Siemens Energy & Automation, not from SST or Allen-Bradley. How are they supposed to be able to tell you how to use a Siemens product ?

After 20 minutes of ill-humored searching, I finally found the GSD files for this plastics heater control module.

PowerHouse LA-824

Having this is step 1. Step 2 is running the SST configuration software that was included in your SLC-PFB module and installing this GSD file into it.