VMWare, Windows8, Factorytalk Studio

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I realize this isn't officially supported but was looking at suggestions anyway.

We are using both Beckhoff and AB equipment for our machines, the field laptop I use requires both Twincat, Studio 5000, and Factorytalk View Studio (ME).

The problem I was running into was with Beckhoff and AB software fighting over network resources and ultimately making neither of them work correctly.

My solution was to install them in seperate virtual machines having a few extra licenses of Windows 8.1. Now I realize this isn't officially supported but both run fine separately in Windows 8.1 on my laptop. However when I attempt to run Factory Talk View Studio ME in a virtualized 8.1 install. I continuously get OCX error messages and it eventually force quits.

Why would this function differently in a virtualized instance instead of a physical one?

I am using VMWare Workstation for the virtualization. Both instances should have enough resources.

What is the .OCX?

Are you running 32 or 64bit Windows 8.1?

Have you registered the ActiveX control? regsvr32 filename.ocx

You might have to CD to C:\windows\syswow64 and then run regsvr32 filename.ocx if you need to force 32bit recognition.