Strapping Machine Control

capthogg

Greetings,

I am looking to repair a strapping machine (Cyklop ESM-2).
Looks like control circuit is defective and part is obsolete.
Main power is 115V 60HZ
Control circuit is 24VDC
Control circuit is fairly simple

• feed solenoid
  • Electric clutch
  • cam position microswitch
  • Strap feed microswitch
  • strap tension microswitch
  • Strap limit switch
  • strap pre feed pot ( to adjust amount of strap feed)
I do not have any experience with PLC so trying to educate myself. Looked at the AB Micro810 as this appears to be capable but looking for advice as to what would be a workable solution.

Thanks

Greetings,

I am looking to repair a strapping machine (Cyklop ESM-2).
Looks like control circuit is defective and part is obsolete.
Main power is 115V 60HZ
Control circuit is 24VDC
Control circuit is fairly simple

• feed solenoid
  • Electric clutch
  • cam position microswitch
  • Strap feed microswitch
  • strap tension microswitch
  • Strap limit switch
  • strap pre feed pot ( to adjust amount of strap feed)
I do not have any experience with PLC so trying to educate myself. Looked at the AB Micro810 as this appears to be capable but looking for advice as to what would be a workable solution.

Thanks

Can you post a picture of this machine?
I've 2 Cyklops in stock, never use them, maybe they are the same...

Jack

I have not used an AB Micro810 but from experience it is easier to program any smart relay from a PC than the push button interface. Also this unit probably wont have a analoge input for your pot, which I guess is used for a timer function adjustment. You could get around this by using a binary switch, giving you 7 timers for 3 inputs or 15 for four inputs. Your above looks easy but I bet it will push this little smart relay unit to it's limits. Should not be a problem though.

We have an old Sivaron SS80Y machine here that I gutted and upgraded the controls on. I used a Mitsubishi FX3U PLC. I didn't need any analog inputs though. To fill the strap pool box there is a counter tensioned bar that gets pushed over as the pool box fills. A sensor is mounted to actuate when this bar is fully pushed over. The tension on the bar is adjustable so you can dictate how much strap is fed.

Any brick style PLC is more than adequate for the task.

Dave

Micro 810 is a PLC not a smart relay, the software is free and it's not too terrible.

Also it does come with analog inputs on some of the models. So be sure to check that if you order one.

Micro 810 is a PLC not a smart relay, the software is free and it's not too terrible.
I found the Connected Components Workbench with the Microsoft Visual Studio software to be very terrible, a terrible memory hog, a great lot of bologna for such a small PLC.

They subsidized the cost by eating your memory.
Not mine, I deleted the darn monster. I will look at it again in a few years when I am forced to upgrade my computer. If you have gigabytes of RAM, it is probably okay.

Last edited:
I agree, the Click would be a great PLC to use for this machine. The free software is easy to install. It only requires 132 Mbytes of space, and the instructions are not obscure.

Last edited: