Control Panel Building (Sticky Backs)

Tim Ganz

When building control panel and using sticky backs I normally drill through the little hole in the middle and tap it for a machine screw to make sure it never comes off but can't really do that on the panel door when using sticky backs to make all the pilot and push button wiring look nice.

We have a hot environment and I think these will pop off over a few years. I am using the Panduit tabs for wire ties that connect to the pilot devices like these http://www.panduit.com/heiler/CatalogCutSheets/CPM87S-C Product Page.pdf

But there are so many devices I still need to use a few stick backs. I have had people say that applying a little super glue to the outside edge helps? Any other tips for making sticky backs stay put?

I clean the metal with some alcohol or other cleaner that will evaporate without a residue and push the sticky back on pretty hard. I don't think anything lasts forever with stickybacks but it feels like it holds well after that. Besides once everything is wired and dressed if the sticky back comes off the wires should stay put.

Make sure the surface is grease free, then press all over them with a screwdriver or similar to ensure that they are really well attached. I know that people swear you should never use them, but following the above, I seldom have any come off. The only time I struggle is with Stainless boxes because it is difficult to completely remove the cutting compound used to make holes in the door. I wouldn't use them in the top of an enclosure because gravity is then working directly against the sticky stuff.

I tend to find that if I have to remove the pads for any reason that I have to pry them off with a screwdriver and often the sticky pad bit actually tears through rather than the glue coming off.

Make sure the “sticky backs” you use have 3M double sided foam tape. It’s the strongest adhesive tape you can buy. It costs a little more but well worth it.

I never count on adhesive to hold anything that should be permanent, especially on a door that pulls on them each time it is open and closed.

The solution I found is to use captive studs in the door and wire clips that are designed for being screwed down. Drill a hold of the correct size for the captive stud, press the stud in, attach a wire clip on the other side and put on a nut. The captive stud head is so small that it is rarely noticed on the door. This is guaranteed to hold in any environment.

I will drill and tap a panel door and sand the screw flush or throw a tiny acorn nut on it, no problems with them leaking but you could put sealant on the fine threads if you are that anal about it. I despise the stickybacks too, but they are too handy to say "never"...When supporting cables with them, I will place two of them side by side for extra support when I can't drill through them.

U-drives may not be short enough, nutserts will leak, just drill and tap fine threads, small diameter screws.

Last edited: