Wireless Input

G
We would like to jog a lumber transfer deck from the forklifts. Now the operators have to climb out to jog the deck. Is there something out there that can switch a contact for an input to the processor and hold up to the industrial environment. We have a ControlLogix control system.

Thanks

Go to Home Depot and buy a Gene remote reciver unit. $50.00 and comes with one remote, and one reciver. Output is one momentary dry contact. You can add a relay (your own) for isolation.

Hello Guest

I've used a remote control as suggested and for the same application. It worked just fine but the fork lift operators had trouble not losing the remote controller. Next, came securing the remote controller to the fork lift and that was fine until that fork lift broke down and the switch had to move to another fork lift. All the while, the controller would come back to me damaged from this and than, as well as, the other thing. I went through 5 controllers in 2 years :(

I had the mill wrights (had to begged for it) install a hardy plate that was hinged with a strong spring and a beefy stop-block (to limit plate travel so to not hurt the limit switch). The fork lift operator would set the forks into position to pick up the load and set the forks down to push against the plate and the plate would trip a limit switch to advance the load. We made sure that there was enough room for the forks to be under the load and yet not trip the plate (unless desired by operator) Still in use after 6 years with not one trouble call to me. :)

Guest said:
Home Depot did not have anything

The Home Depot website sucks. It shows maybe 1% of the things they sell. IOW, if all they sold was what the website lists, they could change their name to Home Closet... :rolleyes:

I'm sure they sell basically the same thing you found at Lowe's. Consider these 'homeowner duty' units as disposable. You can probably buy a dozen of the 'El Cheapo' version for the price of ONE 'industrial' version. But, if they lose, break, etc. the industrial version remote (and they eventually WILL), you're stuck buying an expensive replacement. Only you can decide which would make more sense in your application... :confused:

In any case, Phillip's idea sounds like the way to go!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

I spelled Gene wrong. It's actually GENIE.

Any way heres a link to Genie's web site: http://www.geniecompany.com/Accessories/accessories.htm

Your looking for the Intellicode Universal Conversion Kit. Like Eric said you have to get in your car and go to Home Depot, (not homedepot.com) We have about 10 of these installed around our facilities for differnt applications, (none open doors). They seem to be very reliable. The only problem is that they can be tripped un-intentionally when somebody sticks a remoote in their pocket with a bunch of other stuff causing the putton to be pushed.

However I like the trip plate idea better. No lost remotes, and maybe a little safer too.

Mike.

I am doing similar staging of bunks of material into a laminator. The inexpensive solution I found is using a product from Intermatic.
Here is a link to the Transmitter which can operate up to 3 receivers. Each code is set by a dip switch and autolearning sequence. http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=211

There are a couple different receivers based on current load of the contacts. All of the receivers require a 115V AC supply so I used a relay between the receiver and the 24Vdc input for my PLC. Also the contact is maintained for each push of the transmitter so you will need to program plc to look for a change of state of the input if you want momentary. One last thing, mount receiver away from the panel if there are any inverters, the EMF noise seems to affect the units.
Here is one of the receiver links.
http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=209

Once I moved the receiver off of the top of the panel it has worked out great.

Good Luck. :)

Last edited: