Powerflex 525 firmware flash

unsaint32

I am trying to flash firmware version 1.5 to Powerflex 525. Currently it has 1.3 firmware. I pulled the control module out and connected to it via USB cable. At the E: Drive (for the Powerflex) I clicked on the PF52XUSB. I am attaching a pic. And clicked on the "flash," then saw 1.5 firmware available. Clicked on it and I get the "error reading bin file." I verified the file in the directory shown with the error message. What's going on?

pflx525.jpg

I would try to redownload also.

Just FYI they came out with v2 firmware. Rev 1.005 is two revs behind and I would avoid it and go straight to 2.

The recoiling machine we bought came with Compactlogix project with PFLX525 V1.005. That's why I was trying to use that.

So, the USB method didn't work. Someone else used Control Flash using Ethernet and he was able to flas the 1.5 firmware.

Thanks.

Actually, Firmware version 3 has just been released. With the bugs i have found in the version 1.x and 2.x firmwares, i would defiantly give version 3 a try to see if it resolves some really frustrating issues.

Helliana said:
Actually, Firmware version 3 has just been released. With the bugs i have found in the version 1.x and 2.x firmwares, i would defiantly give version 3 a try to see if it resolves some really frustrating issues.

+1

I got the usual "New Software/Firmware Release Available For Download" email from RA today. It has a link to the PowerFlex 525 v3.001 Firmware download page.

PowerFlex 525 Firmware v3.001 Release Notes

According to the release notes, there are 2 new parameters added and 3 corrected anomalies. They say there are no known anomalies with this version (yet?).

EDIT: Forgot to link Technote for original issue!...

588703 - PowerFlex 520 Drive: Error reading bin file during Firmware update
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Use the Ethernet to flash.

We tanked three drives using the USB (the drive was no longer functional and it would not take the USB again). No problems using Ethernet and we were able to recover those three drives by using Enet.

kekrahulik said:
Use the Ethernet to flash.

We tanked three drives using the USB (the drive was no longer functional and it would not take the USB again). No problems using Ethernet and we were able to recover those three drives by using Enet.

+1

RA know about this...

581647 - PowerFlex 525 Flash Failure caused USB Application to Disappear
Access Level: Everyone

The USB method seems to be quite buggy. Until they sort that out, I would (always) use the Ethernet port!

G.