Traffic Light Project and Experimentation

g_4key

Hey everyone, looking for some help on a program I'm wanting to write for some practice and goofing around with. Since I will be replacing in the future our plants old GE Fanuc PLCs with Allen Bradley's and converting the programs over. So I need to do some hands on experimenting, on a side note I do have all the books on the GE Fanuc from the previous engineer who I replaced. But I've never really built a plc set up from the ground up. All I ever did was basic programing and introductory classes at my tech school based on RS Logix 5000 and of course to me the Fanuc seems archaic and rugged. I will be using the is the Fanuc Series 90 micro (details below) and hoping to integrate some 12 VDC L.E.Ds with a max rating of 11mA to simulate Green, Yellow, Red and Orange for emergency/caution flasher this will be eight total for East/West and North/South. I have the program already outline in a book from college 4th edition Programmable Logic Controllers by Frank D. Petruzella and my question is will this PLC work for what i want?

PLC: GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro
Model: IC693UDR005RP1
Source: 120 VAC Standard 1 conductor with neutral and ground (3 Prong plug in)
In: 24 VDC + or - logic 8mA max 16 pt
Out

Given that you are planning to convert a plant full of GE PLCs to Allen Bradley, why do you want to build a test setup and practice programming on a GE PLC? A significant percentage of what you learn will be specific to the GE platform and won't help you in your overall project.

Why not build a test system around an AB controller?

To answer your question, yes, that is enough PLC to run your traffic light project.

To be honest I haven't used my knowledge from tech school at all for a while, and feel I've forgotten it and everything else I learned. I want to do this as a way to jump start my mind again and as a confidence booster. I'd love to play with the Seimens and Allen Bradley plcs and be fully ready for them to come into the modern age but none are on order or in our plant. They have invested heavily into GE plcs the only things we have laying around and not needed or in use is the extra Fanuc Series 90 Micro, some 90-30 Cards, power supplies and a 5 slot Modular baseplate with CPU. Even all the existing setups are fanucs. Are there any books or ideas you would think might be beneficial to me?