Movicon 11.4 HMI talking to Simatic S7-1200 PLC

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been tasked with a new controls project involving an S7-1215C PLC and Movicon 11.4 HMI software running on a PC. The two devices will be communicating via Ethernet (Profinet?). Both packages are new to me, so I am getting simultaneous crash courses! I'm not as concerned about Siemens as it is a fairly well known commodity.

I have searched this forum as well as others I'm aware of but have come up with no relevant posts on Movicon. Progea.com is the maker of Movicon and even their forum has limited postings. Maybe this stuff "just works" and nobody ever needs help?!? You tube seems to be my best source of training/help at this time.

If anybody has worked with this software before and give me some feedback/direction for support I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Osmanmom. I work for a systems integrator and this project is for one of my customers, so I am looking for support more on a q&a front.

I'll check them out, Mark. Thanks. I spoke with the local rep and currently the US based forum is redirected to the main one in Italy. It is possible that the Aussie forum will be a good resource.

If you have used the software before, what are your thoughts in comparison to other packages (FTView, WonderWare, Crimson, etc.)?

I used it talking to a Siemens S7-300 and if I'm being honest I found it quite limited.

I was only logging some data, but I wouldn't even try to use it on anything bigger.

Don't get me wrong things may have improved (I used it about 2 years ago), but it just seemed a little bit clunky to me.

There were a few little things that I thought were rather good, but the cons outweighed the pros in my opinion.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the links. Turns out that Progea USA has a YouTube channel with four tutorial videos that can be found at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD3XWcI0onE&list=PL5B59A921F44C06D2

One caveat I've discovered, for posterity's sake, is that the Movicon driver requires the S7-1200 DB to be non-symbolic/non-optimized. I believe this harkens back to the S7-200 format.