PC acronics backup

arulrajeee

I have PC acronics backup.for emergency purpose, how can i use the pc acronics backup in laptop. What i want to follow to do like that..
yours suggestion is helpful to me...

Are you trying (or want) to restore your desktop PC backup to a laptop or simply view some of the stuff contained in that backup?

Restoring a desktop backup image to a laptop can cause issues since the hardware is so different.

What version of windows is the backup from?

Yes, as asked, can you please verify that when you say "PC" and "laptop" that you mean different computers?

A full system backup of one PC, if say a desktop, will be very different to the system used in another PC, even more so if that other PC is a laptop. This type of restore would be next to impossible in my estimation.

If you have a partial backup of some selected files or folders on the first PC, then in theory you could restore those on the laptop, but Acronis would of course have to be installed on the laptop, which should also have the same path to the same files or folders, or at very least have the same drive as the backed up files or folders on the first PC.

Acronis can convert Windows backup files to Acronis backup files, but whether the reverse is supported, I cannot say right now. I'm not at my programming laptop until Monday, on which I use Acronis. If it can convert Acronis backup files to Windows backup files, then you might be able to restore on the laptop using Window System Restore, saving you needing Acronis on the laptop, should you prefer not to install it.

Regards,
George

unplug the HDD from your laptop, connect it to your PC, use acronis to make a complete image of that laptop HDD, keep it in a safe place, recover when needed making the same but with the correct steps to recover.

That should be all.

Hai,
I have my PC(desktop) backup files . My doubt is it possible to restore the PC acronics full backup in laptop HDD. I have the laptop driver CD also. All files are windows 7

arulrajeee said:
...is it possible to restore the PC acronics full backup in laptop HDD...

Ok, I've investigated a little more for you...

We actually have three copies of Acronis:

2 x Acronis True Image Home 2011

1 x Acronis True Image Home 2011 & Plus Pack 2011

We use the Plus Pack so we can use a feature known as Acronis Universal Restore. I had forgotten about it, but it actually does exactly what you want, if you have the Plus Pack. It allows you to recover your system image to dissimalar hardware...

Acronis said:
Purpose of Acronis Universal Restore

Universal Restore is part of the Acronis True Image 20XX Plus Pack which must be purchased separately. Acronis True Image 20XX Plus Pack has its own license and is installed from its own setup file. You need to re-create bootable media in order to make the newly installed Universal Restore add-on operational in the bootable recovery environment.

A system disk image can be restored easily on the hardware where it was created or to identical hardware. However, if you change the motherboard or use another processor version, a likely possibility in case of hardware failure, the recovered system could fail to boot.

Trying to move the system to a new more powerful computer will usually produce the same result. This is because the new hardware is incompatible with critical drivers included in the image.

Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) will not resolve this problem. Sysprep allows you to replace only Plug-and-Play device drivers (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.).

However, System Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers must be identical on both the source and the target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base, articles 302577 and 216915).

Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Acronis Universal Restore is applicable for:
  1. Instant recovery of a failed system on different hardware
  2. Hardware-independent cloning of operating systems

So what version of Acronis do you have?

Regards,
George