SIEMENS Protool/Pro

GEOFRA

I am using Protool for the first time and I want to define different password levels. Protool supports only one password but it has an option to create a password list.Can anybody help with this? How do you create this list and how do you recall it and check the passwords?
From the settings also there are some functions "Write_password_to
_tag" and also "Write_Level_to_tag" but how do you activate those?

The specific project is build using only one cpu-226 and some expantion modules. From protool you can define which protocol to use in order to communicate with the CPU. I have used a CP 5611 PCI card and I am communicating using Profibus protocol and it works fine.
I have tried to use PPI protocol which is also supported by Protool using a Multi-Master PPI cable but without any success.I have checked speed e.t.c and everything seems to be set ok.
When I try to connect I recieve a "Connection established " message and immediately a " Connection disconnected message".Any ideas??

Hello Geofra;
The basic way to set operator rights with ProTool is effectively to use a password list. It works on all OP/TP/MPs from Siemens (I haven't tried them with ProTool/Pro, but it should have the same functionnalities).
Suggestion: For test purposes, create a new project; on the main screen, choose the password list icon (on the objects bar, it looks like a security lock), click and drag on the screen to size it large enough to see the 3 columns and 2 or 3 lines.
Fill in one line such as OPERATORS (name), 999A(alphanumerical password), 5 (level of aauthorisation: 0=lowest, no protection, 9=highest, most protection).
Put a button on the same page, with a function (change a tag, whatever); in properites, select protection level 7. Download; try to access the button; you will be prompted for a password (with a keypad); you will be told you do not have rights on that object.
Come back to the program, change the acces level of the button to 4, download. You now have access to the button functions.
We generally put the password list on a seperate page, at the end of the project. this page is protected by the highest (9) protection level, so you cannot see or change the list if you are not entitled. Then we go back to the program screens and apply the protection levels we need top the screen objects.
You can use the functions "Write_password_to_tag" and also "Write_Level_to_tag" in order to save and maniopulate the password list in the PLC (much more dynamic). simply link a button to a STRING variable in the PLC, and apply the function you need.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Siemens Protool

Hello Dchartier,

Thank you for your post.
I am not using a TP or OP. I am using a computer (Windows system).
Now as far as the Write_Password_to_tag and Write_Level_to_tag I can only find them in the Global Functions when I go from System-->Functions.
I cannot see it when I go to the properties of an object so I cannot link it with a button .I wonder if this is because I am using a computer and not an OP or TP.
I have tried to insert a password list.I drag the password list but I am not allowed to edit the fields(password,level)

Hi
If it's like the TP/OP, you can only enter the highest level password at the configuration stage (level 9) and subsequent passwords can be entered on the unit itself at runtime.
When logged in, the password list only displays password upto and including the level you are logged up to.

pp

GEOFRA

Jesper and I had a similar problem in a previous thread.

Click here

That might help you out, as Jesper describes how to use the 'write_password_to_tag' function.

Hope this helps

Paul

THIS thread is maybe better just to get started.

edit: GEOFRA, you dont have to change anything in the password list when configuring Protool. Only size the list to fit the screen.
When running Protool RT the first time, there is only the SuperUser. As the first thing, logon as the superuser and setup some more users on the screen with the password list.

Last edited: