Windows 10 is the official name for the next Windows O/S

Operaghost

RIP Windows 9, we hardly knew you.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-10-announced-official

Official Technical Preview due out tomorrow through the new Windows Insider Program. Sign up here tomorrow:

http://preview.windows.com

Keep in mind that this is not a Beta, this is a technical preview of some of the features to come in the next Windows. Beta probably won't come out until early next year.

So is anyone going to install this on a spare machine or a VM? I know I have a laptop ready to be wiped clean! Wish I had a spare tablet to run it on.

OG

RIP Windows 9, we hardly knew you.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-10-announced-official

Official Technical Preview due out tomorrow through the new Windows Insider Program. Sign up here tomorrow:

http://preview.windows.com

Keep in mind that this is not a Beta, this is a technical preview of some of the features to come in the next Windows. Beta probably won't come out until early next year.

So is anyone going to install this on a spare machine or a VM? I know I have a laptop ready to be wiped clean! Wish I had a spare tablet to run it on.

OG

I have a Windows 8.1 machine that I use as a Hyper-V Server (actually a couple of them). I'll be installing the Preview in a VM as soon as I can. Probably won't do much with it but keep it updated, but still it will be fun to play with.

Cool I am going to download that try it out. Maybe throw Ignition on it right away!

So far it is more like Windows 7. It knows that I am using a desktop without touch capability so it is presenting it to me differently than it would a tablet or phone.

It has the traditional Start (Windows) button and after installing Logix and RSLinx, they were listed in the All Apps just like the All Programs from Windows 7. Everything went pretty much the same as Windows 7.

I use Windows 8.1 (no touch) on my home PC and on my tablet (Surface) so I am pretty familiar with using the desktop and the Modern environments. So far Win 10 seems a blending of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Some things are really nice improvements Such as:
  • The File Explorer shows Frequent Folders as well as Recent Files
  • The Command Prompt window finally supports cut, copy, and paste
  • The Window Snap feature was really handy in 8.1 but it is much improved in Win 10. It will take some practice to fully utilize that feature.
  • The tasks on the File Explorer toolbar can be collapsed and expanded (really like that one)
  • The Task View button on the toolbar is sort of like an icon for the ALT-TAB option but additional lets you switch between and create new virtual desktops.
  • The Modern apps now run in a window. That alone is a big deal as it greatly improves the use of my large dual monitor setup

OG

I plan on downloading it and testing it once I get back to the states in a couple days. One of the features I'm most excited about is the multiple virtual desktops. I used to use them all the time in Linux and miss them in Windows. Have you tried them out at all?

I've used it just to see the feature. Long overdue to see this in Windows. I'm not sure the average home user will get it, but power users will love it.

OG

what i hated the most about going from windows 7 to windows 8 (other than no start button, which i added back to windows 8) is the fact that in windows 8 it takes you at least twice as many menus to get to things i want to change than in windows 7. such as device manager, network connections etc. i hate it. hopefully they make it more streamlined again in 10

FTView 8.0 works fine. Even RSLogix 5000 ver. 20.01 works, even though it's not supposed to according to Rockwell's compatibility site. Does version 20.01 work on Windows 8.1?

Windows 8 IMHO is the worst piece of **** to ever come out of Microsoft and I go all the way back to DOS 3.3 and Windows 3.1

I have installed Windows Classic Shell on other family PCs that were purchased with Windows 8 and it at least makes it usable.

Most of the time though I just buy a new SSD and start from scratch with Window 7.

Win 10 should be a pretty good OS.
Microsoft seems to get every other OS release right.

I've been saying that for years.

Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8

Every second one is a pile of junk, so they're due for another good one! ;)