Interlock Cable Ideas

Tim Ganz

So I have a bucket in an MCC that has a Safety PLC that connects to several starters and drives in the MCC. I need to bring the estop circuit from 4 other pieces of equipment as inputs into this safety PLC.

This means the wiring going to each of the 4 pieces of equipment will be powered from the safety plc power supply of 24 volts dc and will be hot when the main disconnect of each piece of equipment is off so it should be Orange to designate that and each panel on each piece equipment will need to be labeled as such.

I am trying to find a suitable wire or multiconductor cable to use as it needs to be 16-18 awg, orange in color and it really needs to be shielded because it shares the same path in the MCC as 120 volt AC and 480 volt ac wiring and there is really not a way to change that without a redesign of everything.

I am having trouble finding 16-22 awg shielded wire or multiconductor cable with orange conductors.

This is about as close as I have come but it's not shielded http://www.hitechcontrols.com/cables/control_cable/pvc/jz_500_orange.html#

Anyone have any better ideas? We are interfacing some new equipment into a very old line.

What about either finding a multi-conductor cable with an orange outer jacket or taping the jacket with orange tape inside the panel?

I use this.

It's not shielded though, so you would have to make other arrangements for protection if necessary.

Tim,

i would use orange tape or heat shrink tubing around each wire.

you should also put a placard on the mcc buckets or in an obvious area that states that the mcc buckets have power from another source.

i ran across this several years ago which caused some problems. When you hit the e-stop and kill the bucket mcc unit, how will that
effect the rest of your equipment? Also, how will your equipment start back up and in what order?

regards,
james

Last edited: