UDT sharing

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90484 got me thinking.
I usually don't do the same job twice. So that means that I create UDT just about everytime.
How do we go about sharing them? Do we just paste text in a body of a this post or load it on a sites download section? I have a job coming up with about 20 tanks. So I will be creating some UDT for ease of use.

Example would be
LOOP_NUMBER, STRING
LOOP_NAME, STRING
LEVEL, REAL
HIGH_HIGH_LEVEL_SP, REAL
HIGH_LEVEL_SP, REAL
LOW_LEVEL_SP, REAL
LOW_LOW_LEVEL, REAL
HIGH_HIGH_ALARM, BOOL
HIGH_ALARM, BOOK
LOW_ALARM, BOOL
LOW_LOW_ALARM, BOOL

What else do I need on this one?
I would like to make a central place that we can all use and put from one another. Some UDT will be huge and complex, some short and simple.
Just a thought what do you guys and gals think?

Last edited:
So this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90484 got me thinking.
I usually don't do the same job twice. So that means that I create UDT just about everytime.
How do we go about sharing them? Do we just paste text in a body of a this post or load it on a sites download section? I have a job coming up with about 20 tanks. So I will be creating some UDT for ease of use.

Example would be
LOOP_NUMBER, STRING
LOOP_NAME, STRING
LEVEL, REAL
HIGH_HIGH_LEVEL_SP, REAL
HIGH_LEVEL_SP, REAL
LOW_LEVEL_SP, REAL
LOW_LOW_LEVEL, REAL
HIGH_HIGH_ALARM, BOOL
HIGH_ALARM, BOOK
LOW_ALARM, BOOL
LOW_LOW_ALARM, BOOL

What else do I need on this one?
I would like to make a central place that we can all use and put from one another. Some UDT will be huge and complex, some short and simple.
Just a thought what do you guys and gals think?

Jeff,

I think that's a great idea, but, and this may be unpopular, I think it would be a good idea to make such a feature part of the "Lifetime members only" section of the forum. After all, some of the UDT's and AOI's I've created represent hours if not days of work.
For the most part, there's nothing proprietary to any of that work, but I'm going to feel better about handing it out freely if I know only active, contributing members of the forum can access it. I'd say it's a feature that should be available to all paying members as well as folks with a high-enough post count.

Jeff,

I think that's a great idea, but, and this may be unpopular, I think it would be a good idea to make such a feature part of the "Lifetime members only" section of the forum. After all, some of the UDT's and AOI's I've created represent hours if not days of work.
For the most part, there's nothing proprietary to any of that work, but I'm going to feel better about handing it out freely if I know only active, contributing members of the forum can access it. I'd say it's a feature that should be available to all paying members as well as folks with a high-enough post count.

I didn't think about that . I can repost this in the members only forum no problem. What do others think about it?
Most of my UDT are quick and easy. I only have have a few UDT that I can't share the OEM that I built them for considers them proprietary. They give them away to their customers when they buy a communication bridge.