PLC 5 Comm with RIO 1794-ASB Series E

Wayneo49

Greetings all first wanted to say thanks for all the great info as I have been looking here a lot trying to figure out my issue, but having said that I have been unsuccessful.

Here is my issue-

I have a PLC 5/20 processor trying to communicate with a new RIO(1794-ASB series E) that has 1 analog (IE8/B) and digital (IA8). I'm using RSLogix 5 8.00(CPR9). I have followed the book on how to setup the ASB but can't seem to find the analog module. I setup the RIO with the auto config and it passes with both LED sets on the processor and RIO rack all good. I have setup the BTW/BTR by inserting the code from the module setup which was pretty self explanitory.

Part of my thought is when you are configuring the module with the popup for module addressing I have tried both auto-pick and manually, same results. In the code there are other BTR/BTW for the same type of RIO modules and I've mimiced that with the same results.

Here is my BTW:
module type IE8/B
Rack 003
Group 000
Module 000
Ctl blk BT42:1
Data file N43:9
Length 1
Contin No

BTR:
module type IE8/B
Rack 003
Group 000
Module 000
Ctl blk BT42:0
Data file N43:0
Length 9
Contin No

Somethings to note:
I'm doing this in the shop on the bench which doesn't have everything as the unit in the field. Really just a couple of digital cards in the chassis but has everything thats going to be on this RIO drop. There is other racks in the field that will be communicating to this rack on the same blue hose channel.

Thanks for the help!

Wayne

Last edited:
If you can post the PLCs program its .RSP file ( zip it first) and how the dip switches are set for the 1794-ASB.

Tell us what you mean by "can't find the analog module"

In general, "Rack 00" is the chassis that the PLC-5 is installed in.

Your 1794-ASB can be Rack 01, or some other Rack number.

If the FLEX analog module is in the first slot, it will be "Group 0, Slot 0".

If there are only two modules, and you're using the common Standard Addressing method, then the two modules will be considered a "1/4 Rack" size adapter on the RIO network.

The Chassis_1 has the processor and attached to the 1A is the DH+. Chassis _2 is Rack 2. And this Flex I/O is Chassis _3.

The dip switches are setup as follows:
SW1= 1-4 ON, 5-6 OFF, 7-8 ON
SW2= 1 OFF, 2-6 ON, 7 OFF, 8 ON

The FLEX is in Slot 0 (Rack 3, Group 0, Slot 0)

"Can't find the analog module" =unable to see it from RSLinx or RSlogix5.

Your original post says:
Group 003, Rack 000
But you say in post #4:
Rack 3 Group 0.
Are you sure your BTR/BTW are correct?

Rslinx is not going to show the I/O.

RSLogix5 will show them if you have the ABS module configured in the I/O configuration.

Also the modules must be configured in the I/O configuration.

Have you setup channel 1B for rack 3?

Have you assigned a file to the "I/O Status Word" (S:16)

Again can you post the .RSP file. ( zip it first)?

I assumed that "can't find" meant "the BTR and BTW instructions are completing with Error codes".

The status code of the BTR and BTW instructions are the only programmatic way to tell if an analog I/O module is working.

Rslinx is not going to show the I/O.

RSLogix5 will show them if you have the ABS module configured in the I/O configuration.

Also the modules must be configured in the I/O configuration.

Have you setup channel 1B for rack 3?

Have you assigned a file to the "I/O Status Word" (S:16)

Again can you post the .RSP file. ( zip it first)?

Mickey can you please explain the I/O Status Word S:16 and how do I calculate a value for this or is it just a file, any value will do?

I have attached a copy of a test program that I created and it doesn't work either but have pretty much the same as my running setup.

Thanks for the help guys!

Your program already has a file for the I/O status word (200). See pdf for more info on that.

Lad 3 is not being called, you need a "JSR" (jump to subroutine) instruction to call that subroutine.

Also the card is not configured yet. See picture

As far as seeing the module its there, at least I can see it. But its not going to work until you call the subroutine with the Block Transfer instructions and configure (setup) the card.

IOconfigure.jpg

Attachments

• iostatus.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Grrrrrr I can't believe I did that! I debated on putting it in there but forgot!

Thanks for pointing that out.

For my info the S:16 status is just there for info only and not used or is it used? I can see we have some others setup without a number word there.

Problem solved!

Wayne

For my info the S:16 status is just there for info only and not used or is it used? I can see we have some others setup without a number word there.

Problem solved!

Wayne

I'm not sure on that one. I seem to recall some 15 plus years ago that a flex I/O rack with analog cards would work without it. Maybe the more knowledgeable AB gurus will comment on that.

Remote I/O will work with or without the "status file" ... but ... you can't do Autoconfigure without it ... specifically, you'd have to manually put the information into the I/O Channel Configuration screen ...