Temperature transmitter

gigacer

For school project i need to measure water temperature in a tank. I need to connect a pt100 sensor with a Siemens s7-300 PLC. To do that i was thinking to use SEM203P temperature transmitter (Stratus). Is that going to work? If that transmitter is ok, can anybody draw me a simple schema of how to connect a pt100 sensor with this transmitter and than how to connect this transmitter with a S7-300 (i am not very familiar with PLC-s, and sorry for my english)

The first step is to determine what type of analog input your PLC is equipped with. Some are 4-20 mA, some are 0-10 VDC, ad some are even capable of accepting the PT-100 RTD directly.

Once you have established that, almost any transmitter with the right output will be compatible with both the RTD and the PLC. The wiring will vary with type. Once you've found this out comeback to us for more help.

thanks for reply, S7-300 PLC has a SM331 module (4-20 mA analog input), can you help me now with wiring SEM203P temperature transmitter with pt100 sensor and with SM331 module?

What part of the wiring don't you understand?

2mczz9k.jpg

This one whith Power Supply, does Power Supply comes from PLC or i need some other power supply?

It can work either way. You could use the PLC 24 VDC power supply. However, it is more common to provide a separate power supply for the analog loops to avoid overloading the PLC's and to minimize noise impacts from field wiring.

Isn’t the whole concept of a school project to “learn” how to do it rather than just asking someone to show you? Nothing you’re asking is very difficult information to find by reading up on the equipment you are using. Just saying.

This information is in the link of my previous post if you care to read.

18475312_S7_Analogeingabe_2DrahtMU_T1_e.gif

I don't think we should do all the work for you. Isn't this YOUR homework?

Last edited:
I think a lot has been gained through having so many resources at our fingertips with the internet. .. But a lot has also been lost, including the necessity of "just figuring things out". Everyone expects an answer now, with minimal effort on their part.

Makes me feel old just saying it, but back in my day... you just sketched it out on paper, used first principles to see if it made sense, and then just tried it with a fuse on everything incase you got it wrong!

I think a lot has been gained through having so many resources at our fingertips with the internet. .. But a lot has also been lost, including the necessity of "just figuring things out". Everyone expects an answer now, with minimal effort on their part.

Makes me feel old just saying it, but back in my day... you just sketched it out on paper, used first principles to see if it made sense, and then just tried it with a fuse on everything in case you got it wrong!

I have a lot of sympathy, Saffa. I feel that way sometimes too. I learned a lot by just trying, and I spent a lot of time going through books. I cost myself a lot of money by getting wrong the first try, and keeping on until I got it right.

But then I remember I also spent a lot of time asking questions. I asked bosses, I asked teachers, I asked suppliers, I asked manufacturer's engineers, I asked colleagues. I then remind myself that there's a difference between good questions that seek information, like this thread I think, and lazy twits saying "I'm in a hurry - whats the answer to problem 23?"

thank you for your replies, i have a teacher but unfourtunately he can't help me right now (he is out of country), i dont have almost any experinces with PLC-s so this is why i ask stupid/easy questions here, i hope you're gonna understand

thank you for your replies, i have a teacher but unfourtunately he can't help me right now (he is out of country), i dont have almost any experinces with PLC-s so this is why i ask stupid/easy questions here, i hope you're gonna understand

You already have the answer in my second post.

M+ » + Analog Input #
M- » - Analog Input #
L+ » 24Vdc
M » 0Vdc

Place the switch of the analog input card in posicion C (2 wire)
The Transducer in the picture is your SEM203P temperature transmitter (Stratus)

I think you can figure out the rest.