Need Help Please.

7romero1

Can anyone tell me what the symbol for an Analog to Digital card is for an AB RSX PLC progamming? I know for example that a Normally Open push button that is wired to the common and to the input buss, say slot 2 bit 12, I:2/12 would be the symbol on the ladder logic for that, an A to D card in say the same slot (slot 2), what would you type for the designator. I know that a normal A to D card usually has 4 channels at 1 to 10 volts for the analog input signal which the A to D card then converts to a binary number the PLC can interact with the program to fire the outputs accordingly. Please can anyone give me help on this.

Welcome to the Forum !

In general, A-B analog modules present the analog value as a number of integer 'counts' in an I/O data table file that is related to the slot position of the module.

Are you using a MicroLogix or a modular SLC-500 controller ? Do you have an exact analog module part number in mind ?

The range of the integer values depends on the exact module and configuration. Some modules let you configure the data as raw counts, scaled-for-PID counts, or engineering units.

As one example, a 1746-NI4 module in Slot 2 would present its data as:

I:2.0 = Channel 1 Analog Input Value
I:2.1 = Channel 2 Analog Input Value
I:2.2 = Channel 3 Analog Input Value
I:2.3 = Channel 4 Analog Input Value

Because the 1746-NI4 uses a 16-bit A/D converter, the value would be between -32768 and +32767 for an analog input voltage of -10 to +10 V DC.

Thank you for writing me back, I under stand some of what you said, I dont have any moduel in front of me, I have written very simple PLC programs before, that use timers/counters/Input buss bits (devices like switches etc.) and internal relays, and I know what the bit word for example a TON T4:15 has 16 bits (the bit word) and bitts 13, 14, 15 are reserved for the EN, DN and TT. but if I had the A to D card that you are talking about that uses counts from -32768 to +32767 and has the -10 to +10v and I put it into say slot 2, and I created a rung, what would I put on that rung to designate that A to D card in the program/PLC? If it is an input I understant that it will be wired to an input devise like a pressure transducer or something that puts out an analog voltage (signal) to the slot 2 channel say 3. please can you help me,

Thank you again, I under stand the comparative funtcions greater than, less than etc. Thank you.
I worked out in Mosses Lake for 11 months in 2007 for the IBEW (union electrician local 665 out of Lansing MI. That was the first and only time that I had been to Washington state, I was supprized at how hot it was, and also desert like terrain, I had to drive to Seattle to the Union Hall to get the work referal, it was snowing up I-90 going up and down the Casscade Mts. white knuckles on the wheel there and back. Thank you again for your help,

The Cascade mountains in Washington definately divide the state into two very different parts both climatically and politically. The 'left' and 'right' terms applied to liberals and conservatives have a very literal meaning in our state.

Hello, I understand what you mean Right and Left, I didnt know that untill you explained it to me, in Michigan we have Uppers (Youpers) and Lowpers for the U.P and L.P., also are you anywhere near Waxahatchie, I dont know if I am spelling it write.

Mr. Roach, thank you for you answers, I think that I understand now, if I have an A to D card in a certain slot and I put a comparitive function on a rung say greater than and that function has to have 2 sources to compare in order to be true or false, you make the source that is being compared to a fixed number/value and when the X-ducer analog input signal gets greater than the set value the greater than function fires true or has logical continuity. Thank you again

If I am right and not butchering it up it was pronounced Wax-a-hachee, I dont remember it it was South of Mosses Lake, I had to go there to take the Washington State Electricians test.

If you’re talking about how to pronounce Wenatchee, you are mistaken. It’s pronounced just like it’s spelled wen-at-chee

I just looked up google maps, youre right that was the place I went to, it was odd because it was a small building on a airport landing strip

also you can scale that analog value to a useable value to compare to. lets say you have a 0-100psi pressure anolog input. well then you could scale your 0-32767 to be 0-100 and then compare when say you want something to shutdown at 60psi. much easier than doing the math for the raw data for a setpoint and easier for everyone else later to make changes.