MSG function from CIP device without socket?

stokke93

Hello, Sorry for my bad English

The message function is a little new for me on the RSlogix 5000 platform, especially the CIP function....
Currently on RSLogix 5000, version 16.

I wish to read from a CIP Device, a SICK long distance measuring laser to be more specific. Ethernet protocol UDP.
"SICK DL100 Hi - Ethernet version"

Connected through and industrial Phoenix Switch

I am using an 1756-EWEB/A Ethernet card (SLOT1) Ip 192.168.100.250

Message Type = CIP Generic
I use the service type "Custom", should I use "get Attribute single" ?
Service Code:14
Class Hex :23
instance :1
attribute :10

The communication i have typed in:Ethernet,2,192.168.100.236 witch is the ip for the laser.

Is the value received in Hex, or in decimal?

and how to set up the MSG rung for this kind of Message type.

Hints and tips would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,
Thomas Stokke
Electrician/automation Technician
Hydro Aluminium
Norway

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

I do not have direct experience with that sensor, but it looks to me like it is available with the EtherNet/IP protocol that Rockwell Automation uses.

Do you have the EtherNet/IP version ? The user manual 8016994 describes it in detail.

Class 0x23 is the Position Sensor Object, and there is only one Instance of that object.

When you're using a MSG instruction, the Service, Class, and Attribute are all entered in HEX format.

For some reason, the Instance number is entered in DECIMAL format. That value will be 1.

So the Position Value, which is Attribute number 10 (Decimal) would be entered as Attribute 0A (Hex).

I recommend using the ordinary Get Attribute Single and Set Attribute Single service codes from the drop-down menu. Those are shown to be supported in the user manual. Service Code 0x0E (Hex) = 14 (Decimal) = Get Attribute Single.

Also, if you use the ordinary 1756-ENBT module you will be able to not only use Explicit Messaging but also the Class 1 I/O connection that is described starting on Page 71 of that user manual.

The Class 1 I/O connection will be automatically transferred back and forth between the ControlLogix and the SICK sensor on a cyclic basis when you set the SICK sensor up as a Generic Ethernet Module in the I/O tree. With such a configuration, there is no need for MSG instructions.

The 1756-EWEB module doesn't have the ability to make ordinary I/O connections like the 1756-ENBT does. Those functions were removed in order to make way for the web services firmware features.

Thank you,
and thanks again for a quick response!
yes it is an Ethernet Ip version, or do you mean the 1756-enbt card?.

I only have rev 6,04 and rev 6,01 in that card.
and those are limited to 18 as the oldest version, and the L55 only supports ver 16

So the 1756-EWEB card is the "wrong" card to use in this situation?
or will i be able to run the function that I am referring to, on the card i have?
I also have to keep in mind that I am gathering info from 2 identical lasers, on different ip addresses.

so you have to translate from decimal to hex in the MSG Block, I see.

very helpful info, thanks so far at least.

Last edited: