WPONIDNA wont register in RSNetworx

PLC5Please

Hi all. Heres the scoop, Running RSLogix v21, Rsnetworx 11 with upgrade patch, and Rslinx (most up to date version).

1756 DNB has a string of WPONIDNA devicenet adapters going to Eaton Advantage starters. Registered the EDS files from eaton and am able to see all the PONI's on networx. Now the issue is we have added a PONI, same as all the rest, and it wont register. Tried registering each eds directly to it and says supplied eds does not match device.

Talked with rockwell tech support and no ideas. Tried a new PONI and no better. Hoping someone out in the interwebs has any ideas as we have tried just about anything that comes to mind.

Also it isnt that it doesnt see the PONI. It shows up as a node in the string, and sees that it is a PONI....

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Hi

First I would upgrade to version 21 of networks
Then I would use the create a eds wizard

Hope this helps

Donnchadh

Ya i figured that would be the first response lol. I hoped since it registered all the others fine enough it wouldnt be a revision issue. I'll start the download and give it a try, was hoping there'd be another way.

Cheers

My wager is that the PONI you are adding isn't really the same as all the others, from the perspective of RSNetworx.

Right-click on the one that won't register and select Device Properties. Note and post the Identity information: Vendor, Type, Code, and Major/Minor Revision.

Compare that to the others, and to the Identity section of the EDS you have registered. I'll bet you find either a Device Code or a Major Revision mismatch.

You might be able to manually edit the EDS to make one that matches this device, or you might need Eaton to send you the correct one.

The patch for RSNetworx v11, to allow it to work with the newer EDS SQL Database appears to be working ok for you as you got the previous PONIs registered just fine. I don't see why you would need to go to v21 just to get another PONI registered? However, going to v21, at some stage, would be advisable going forward.

I'd agree with Ken here on the reason it won't register for you.

I assume you are using the folder of EDS files I linked you to in an previous thread? If so, I think the WPONIDNA EDS file was version 3.6, which seemed to satisfy your current modules. I see there is a version 4.03 EDS file available now. It's possible that the couple of PONIs you've recently been trying to register require the v4.03 EDS file? Find the version info as Ken has pointed out, and we can rule this in or out.

The EDS files should be available through Eaton's website (bottom right):

Eaton Advantage NEMA Starters and Contactors

Unfortunately, their downloads site "downloads.eaton.ca" is still suffering the same downloading issues you encountered when trying to find EDS files for your original modules..."Not Found". I found the files I linked you to from another source via a Google search, but I've had no luck with v4.03. Perhaps others here state-side or even Canadian based can try download from the above site? It "should" be thee go to place for these EDS files. If you can't download from here, I would drop them an email (assuming their email servers are up :p) requesting the EDS file(s) and report the downloading issues. Although, something tells me they already know.

EDIT: I've noticed a LOGIN link at the top of Eaton's website. I didn't register, but you have to "request access" as either an "Agent/Manufacturer rep", a "Contractor", or a "Distributor". This might suggest that access to their material is restricted to those verified within one of those sectors, and it's not available to the general public? Still, if that's the case, their links should inform you as such, and not just say "Not Found".

Anyone here registered with Eaton that could check their downloads?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hi

Have you tried the eds wizard as this works very well. This is why would say up grade to ver 21 as the patch For ver 11 screwed up this function on me.
As you have hunts from the same maker already all you will need is the word/bite size

Donnchadh

The PONI module is merely a gateway. Make sure that the device attached to the PONI module is powered up and functional. Otherwise, the PONI module can't report anything beyond a serial bus address to the DeviceNet master.