RSView32 Alarm Log not working

swapped

Hi,

It was brought to my attention today that the alarm log on one of our View32 Projects has not worked in 2 years. I looked at the setup:file path is correct, its set to periodic daily, keep for 6 months, use long file names, etc etc etc..

I tried stopping the project, clearing the cache (using RA technote) and changing files from daily to hourly just to see if that would help anything. I also tried running AlarmLogOff followed by AlarmLogOn from the View32 Command Line. I have nothing, many alarms come in and the file simply does not get generated.

Any help would be good, i'm about to try this project on a different PC to see if that helps.

Thanks!

I had a similar issue. However my problem was in the PLC. I wasn't getting any alarms at all. The issue was that the bit that was resetting the alarm was on when I downloaded the program. It was as if someone was pressing the alarm reset all the time. Just a suggestion to look at what you are using to clear the alarm.

Thanks for the suggestion. My alarms are working just fine, they simply are not getting logged to the .dbf in the [project path]\ALMLOG
No files get created at all.

Update: seems to be something with the actual RSView software rather then the project because when I move it over to my PC and run it that way it generates the files just fine. I guess I'll try to reinstall when I have some downtime on the system.

Last edited:
Under "Alarms" in RSView, check your "Alarm Setup, Severities". If the check box for each severity level is not set to "Log to Alarm Log File", then no alarm logging will happen for any severity that is skipped. Under "User Msgs", you must have codes that cause the alarm log file to be generated.

Make sure your logging path under "Setup" is correct.

...when I move it over to my PC and run it that way it generates the files just fine.
This indicates that there is a difference in the operating project between the "System, Node" setting and the alarm loggging path. The Node name may have been changed, but the logging path not changed for that project.

Another possibility is that the clock on the computer is not working (battery dead?), so that the "6 month" period is not being calculated correctly and the files are deleted as soon as they are generated. Try unsetting the time deletion and use the Delete Oldest Files After Maximum Files setting.

Last edited:
Lancie,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked all parts of the alarm log setup. My files are currently set to periodic hourly, my alarm severities are all set to log to file, my path is correct (checked this twice). I unchecked file deletion setting altogether to test. This is a virtual server which syncs time with a time server so that should be fine. Also, my activity log works just fine, just not the alarm log.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the system node was changed but the path not updated. I copied the project directory from the server (ex. c:\ProjectNameFolder) to my xp virutal machine at the same exact path. I then verified that my linx had the opc topic I needed and simply ran the project. I have version 7.5 on both the server and the xp vitual machine. Files generated with no issue without making any changes to the settings or configuration.

I copied the project directory from the server (ex. c:\ProjectNameFolder) to my xp virutal machine at the same exact path. I then verified that my linx had the opc topic I needed and simply ran the project
It has been many years, but I remember that when you copy a project, the "System, Node" name setting disappears in the copied version. You have to re-enter that manually. However, I don't know if that causes the Alarm log to fail.