PLC viability for vending

VetVend

I know this is not a standard “help” question but I am unschooled in the PLC world and internet searches have not yielded a suitable avenue to pursue. I really need a quick reality check to push on to the next level.

I built a vending machine by repurposing an old Dixie Narco VMC and components to unlock a series of 24V fail secure locks. It works, but it is far from elegant and there are a lot of unneeded steps. Also, to duplicate the machine would be costly having to buy the VMC, MDB , boards, servos etc. I believe that using a PLC that can talk to an MDB and Credit Card Reader instead would streamline the process and increase efficiency. I think the programming should be straight forward and have been searching for someone to assist me(would like someone close by the Dallas Fort Worth area to better facilitate hands on issues and upgrades), but I have come up empty. Are the requirements below do-able or would the required programming, electronics and wiring harnesses make it a waste of time?

Specifically:
Card Swipe and approval would signal PLC to vend

Simple digital customer interface (insert card, approved, swipe again, declined, make selection, sold out, Door _-_ is open, remove item and close door, thank you)

On-machine ability to set and change prices and reset when product refilled
PLC(s) would operate up to 64 locks

In a perfect world, would like 4 zones with each zone filled with a different product (with up to 16 locks in each zone).

So, Customer would select A, B, C, or D and next door with that product in it would unlock …. Each lock is only activated once and then next lock in that zone is activated for the next sale and when all products in that zone are sold… interface would read “sold Out”

Lock would be energized for up to 60 seconds (in case it closed before customer retrieves item) and small light over the opening lock would illuminate to guide the customer…..same circuit as the lock

Machine requires internal (on machine) reset to tell it when product is refilled.

If zones cause too much increased programming or cost then would switch to traditional letter number key in and have sign that alerts customer to ensure product is present before selecting door to open.

If 60 second activation creates issues I can spring load the doors to ensure they remain open until item is removed.

So…. Is this relatively simple…and if so… What is the most appropriate/economical PLC that would work with an appropriate/economic al wireless Credit Card reader and MDB (or is an MDB is even required)?

After searching through more archived threads I found MDB pro and Easy MDB that act as interfaces between any PLC and a credit card reader so I think that is solved. would like some assistance concerning the ladder logic programming for the machine operations outlined in the original question and suggestions on brand and type of PLC to best accomplish it. Thanks

Is a direct interface to a card reader really necessary at all? I've done PLC control on several car washes with bill readers, coin boxes and credit card readers, all they do is close a contact that is permissive in the PLC. I worked on a fast food vending machine proof of concept using a PLC as well, never got to the transactional interface, but that never seemed to be important to my thinking because I looked at that as almost totally separate. Customer makes a selection, selection awaits permissive transactional confirmation input, input received, vend is enacted, confirmed, then thank you light is lit. Even if there are 16 possible different prices needing confirmation, that's at worst only 16 inputs, fewer if you use simple BCD for inputs. Most vending transaction systems can give you that.

Ah, Thanks never looked at it like that. From what I read the transaction systems were set up for MDB protocol and that is why you needed the MDB pro or easy MDB to make the conversion. I was looking at payment systems that were set up for MDB...all I need is a Card reader with display and RS232 port. Any input on the programming requirements to open the locks?

Last edited: