Connect sick PIM60 to CompactLogix via Ethernet/IP

didibabawu

Hi there,

We have a new sick PIM60 inspector camera and we are trying to make it talk to a compactLogix to send object number and trigger signal and receive results.

I downloaded the eds file for it from sick website (0328000C00850100.eds), and mapped it to rslogix5000. Set the module definition to Exclusive Owner 2 for slim command and small result channel.

The eds file only created a ConnectionFaulted input tag in the plc. No input or output tags was mapped. So I am using MSG function with a 64 byte input tag and 4 byte output tag for communication. See attachments for setting.

These setting are from an older camera and I can read results from the camerae without any issue. But I can not send outputs to the camera to set object number and trigger a inspection. The MSG block gives me a error saying Cannot perform requested service in current mode or state.

I set the camera to use ethernet/IP for triggering and it was in run mode. Has anyone help on this?

Set_MSG.jpg Get_MSG.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen the EDS-based Add-On Profile feature work correctly with a third party device. Since it only created a "Connection Faulted" tag instead of structured Input and Output data tags, I would say that it did not work as intended in this case either.

Does SICK provide an example of how to use the "Generic Ethernet Module" object to create the I/O tags in ControlLogix ?

That's the method I use for third-party devices like this.

The MSG instruction is likely failing because the SICK PIM60 thinks it has a cyclic Output connection created (even though it was not correctly created) so it's rejecting an attempt to use an unsolicited Message to perform the same function.

I would still pursue the Generic Module approach, especially if they have provided examples of how to do it with the Generic Module object.

Is there an error code for the Generic Module connection in your project ?

A size mismatch, or a keying mismatch (unlikely), or a simple timeout all mean different things and can be figured out individually.

If you can post the EDS file (or a link to it) I'd like to see it. Just because a device passed a conformance test doesn't mean that you automatically have all the information you need in the EDS file to do anything except pass the conformance test.

Sick sent me another eds file with the same name and size as I downloaded from sick website. I tested today and it worked. Not sure why. File is attached.

Neat !

Can you capture the old one so we can compare them ? There might have been just one keyword or character that made the difference, and I am very curious.

Here is the old one. I opened it in txt file and it says version 1.0. The one sick emailed me is version 2.1.

Last edited:
mate please can you assist me on how to communicate with pim60 and rslogix5000. plz msg me if you are still online. will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Johnny