well pump control panel inside a pit

Charbel

Dear,

Client wants to include plc cabinet inside the well pump chamber.

if i go for IP68 enclosure which seems the best in case there is a flooding inside the pit, but the internal components on the panel might get heated since in this type of panel i dont believe that there will be a good way of thermal management.

If i go for IP66 enclosure or IP67, it might be a better solution and using a leak detection sensor inside the pit to alarm the operator at the remote SCADA that there is a leakage inside the chamber and probability of underground chamber flooding.

Please advise.

thank you!

charbel

Dear,

This PLC cabinet will be housing a PLC, power supply, communication module, I/O modules, circuit breakers, terminal strips, media converter and a patch panel. This cabinet will be connected to the network using fiber optic cables.

So i guess a size of (W60, H80, D30) would be enough?

thanks!
charbel

I don't think heat will be an issue. In my last place of work we had an IP67 S/S panel housing a siemens s7-300, power supply and panel PC which generated a lot of heat. This was in a wash down environment (dairy industry) so there was no enclosure ventilation. It's been running 24/7 for five years now.

What you could do, instead of having leak detection, is wire a temperature transmitter into an analog input, and monitor this for inside panel temperature.

Check the manuals for your PLC, PSU, IO etc for maximum ambient temperature.

dear,

ambient temperature inside the pit will be 50 degree C, so u dont think IP68 is needed

thank you!

charbel

I suspect that in the event of flooding, to where an IP 68 panel leaks, that an ingress alarm is merely a notification of impending failure. What remedial action is likely to be taken in the midst of flood conditions? Not that there shouldn't be an alarm . . .

I suspect that in the event of flooding, to where an IP 68 panel leaks, that an ingress alarm is merely a notification of impending failure.
Yes, a case of kissing your PLC good-bye. Use the IP68 type, use seals for all conduits. Forget the leak detector. If it happens, it happens.

We have a Control Panel installed at a location near a river in an area sensitive to floods.
The solution was to install a liquid detector along the floor and a buzzer near the maintenance office. We also connected all the cables with plugs so it would be easy to unplug all the cables from the panel and move it. The Control Panel is installed at about 1mt from the bottom.

If no one is working and if the PLC doesn't send an SMS :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Worrying about the IP rating of a control panel on a pump vault that might flood, is kind of like worrying about how comfortable the seat cushions are on the life boats of the Titanic...

By the time that becomes an issue, it's the least of your problems.

Worrying about the IP rating of a control panel on a pump vault that might flood, is kind of like worrying about how comfortable the seat cushions are on the life boats of the Titanic...

By the time that becomes an issue, it's the least of your problems.

+1

Most pump station panels are IP56 (NEMA 4X Stainless Steel). The panel is normally located above grade and well above the water table or flood point. The flood alarm should be below the panel to allow time for personnel to get to the site and react. 50 C seems quite warm for a well pump station - most often the problem is condensation inside the panel, and a drain and space heater are often specified to prevent that.

Put IP67 inox enclosure with equipment inside bigger inox enclosure with good ventilator (IP54). Inner inox enclosure need to have metal mounting plate, which will serve also as heatsink. I have tried this and it works excellent in summer (up to 45 degrees Celsius) and winter (up to -12 degrees Celsius, but with additional heater). For removing moisture use small heater (10-15W) with hygrostat. Both enclosures need to be oversized.