Lifetime Supporting Member
I like to keep up to date on Firmware.
I noticed that the Download on the Allen Bradley website
Has the latest version 23.012
attachment.php

Product Selected:
1769-L30ERM (series A)
Product Version:

So I downloaded it, and flashed it to my CompactLogix controller.
I then found out that my Ladder Logic file wouldn't work with the updated Firmware.
I couldn't download the file to the controller
I tried to Change the controller in the Ladder Logic file, but Version 20 seemed to be the latest option.
attachment.php

I downgraded the firmware back to the version that I originally had, and as soon as that was complete, I was able to Download my Logic file.
attachment.php

How do you tell what version is the most recent version that you can work with?
What keeps me from being able to choose the most recent Revision?
Do I need to update RSLogix5000?

ControllerRev.jpg DownGrade.PNG FirmwareVersions.PNG

Starting with version 21,the software is no longer called RSLogix5000 but Studio 5000. You can download that from RA with tech connect and a valid serial number. Then once you had the latest software, try to open your v20 file in Studio5k and it should prompt you to change your controller revision in the offline project there.

Hope this helps.

Dustin

From what I remember they used to list the required software version for the firmware version but after taking a quick look at the firmware page apparently they don’t do that anymore.

Wow! this is an eye opening experience.
I need a new laptop.
: Seven things you should know about Studio 5000 Logix Designer (formerly RSLogix 5000)
It looks like I need Win7 or better to install Studio 5000.
I know that I needed a new laptop, I am still using an old XP machine :oops: but I was holding out for Win 10.

I was able to download Studio 5000 to my desktop Workstation, and I was surprised how much it bloats your file when jumping up to the latest Rev number.
Seven times bigger.
attachment.php

That wouldn't even fit on a floppy.

LogixDesignBloat.PNG

This is pretty typical in that every revision tends to require more memory but v21 definitely had a huge jump where earlier revs tended to be slightly larger.

In version 21 there is a lot more overhead in the ACD file. I think a brand new file starts at about 1MB in size.

Usually with each version there is a document that details each item and the amount of additional memory used.

Did you know that Logix 5000 will not allow you to save to a floppy? Even if the file was small enough to fit and the disk was empty, you would get a message stating the disk was full.

But you are correct in that starting with version 21 when the name was changed, Studio 5000 required Windows 7. Earlier versions still work on XP.

OG

Back
Top Bottom