PLC Skills Demo

Pendragon8000

Goal:
Make an aquaponics system utilizing a PLC to show I can program, connect, and desighn a PLC system, to help me get an electrical apprenticeship with a company that does work with PLC's.

I have done some aquaponics systems so that can be taken for granted.
I am good with electronics, so that can be taken for granted.
I am good at programming, ...
I can teach myself and WILL see this project though to the end.

Also I intend on seting up a web cam for a low frequent refresh rate web page thing for the project so i can put a link to it in my resume. I'm going to decide on a page or site setup within the next week. and get the fish in the next few days.

all i have to do at a minimum with the plc is switch a couple pumps and fans or bublers, depending on water levels and temperatures. extra would be timmer based feeding, but i will be feeding the comets duck weed from another tank because its high in protien and grows upto %100 per day, however is easy to deal with the produced fish waste because its vego diet. (rather than meat based fish food that is harder to process the waste)

Anyway I know what to do without the plc, but I want to buy one on ebay for about $200 and use a few ins an outs to switch stuff. i will likely use an arduino or Pi for a graphics thing as i have a nice 10" touch lcd ready to go so i can graph the temperature of out side, in the room, and water temp, sensors on and off etc, say 48hr display roll over.

So my question is what PLC do I get, and where do I get software to program it? I'm looking at simens, can I use slave module on its own or must be a master, will it work on its one with a 24v dc psu?

I'm a newb with this but Ill pick it up quick.
Point me in the right direction and Ill read and learn.

Thanks for any help

If you want to minimize costs you can go with a lesser known combo plc+hmi. Many of them are very economical and include free programming software to download. I recently purchased a brand new Jazz Micro OPLC with the programming port for $185. It has a basic HMI and free programming software.
http://www.unitronics.com/plc-hmi/micro-oplc/jazz-

Their Samba model has an 3.5" color touchscreen.

Unless you can get a demo version of their software the Siemens development license would be above your budget.

Another approach is to figure out what brand your local company mostly uses and show you can program in their world.

On the other hand showing you can do a project for minimal cost while proving you can learn a new platform would show off your skills as well.

I would go with a Allen Bradley 1100, the software is free and can be expanded if needed, you can start with just the CPU and built in I/O as the project grows, it also has Ethernet port built in... you should be able to find one in AU, I sell a lot of AB to you guys down there so I dont think support will be an issue if needed, you can also always come back here

The 1763-L16BBB would be a good one as it is all 24vdc so no higher voltage with all the water

I have never interfaced with a arduino system, you will find it hard to find a open source PLC, but you can find the protocols for some as some are published, to much work for me, I would just stick in a touch screen (Red Lion) or PanelView

You can find them on eBay and may get a good price...

Once you are done make another video :)

an arduino can be programmed in ladder
a Pi can be programmed in codesys (PLC) IEC 61131
they are cheap and you are familiar with them.

If you want to minimize costs you can go with a lesser known combo plc+hmi. Many of them are very economical and include free programming software to download. I recently purchased a brand new Jazz Micro OPLC with the programming port for $185. It has a basic HMI and free programming software.
http://www.unitronics.com/plc-hmi/micro-oplc/jazz-

Thanks , I like it. I'll have to find one with temperature.

I contacted sage about their courses. They are cost prohibitive for me but
Sage said:
most common software we use in PLC training is Allen Bradley software. The current Allen Bradley software we use is RSLogix5000 and we have a few options available dependant on your needs and current capabilities with the software.
I think anything will be OK. One company I'm trying for uses Mitsubishi PLCs.
Another uses Allen Bradley, Siemens, Omron, Hitachi and Modicon Telemecanique.
I'lllook mnote at those jazz HMI units today
I would like to display some stats on a screen or I can use led indicators, for the web cam.
Thanks for your help everyone. Much apriciated.

I bought this one:
http://www.micromaxsa.com.au/products/view/cpl4102
JZ20-R16

I also just clicked together my Raspberry Pi with cam. Needs a psu , hdmi and micro sd.

Ive got a large clear lid abs IP97 box for the PLC and connections / plugs etc. (150mm x 250mm x 130mm) plenty big enough but not stupidly big.

I payed $260 for the PLC... From Australia. nice company to deal with but they charged $15 handling fee and $40 shipping. probably a bit more than it should be but I guess most of their customers are Electricians.

Ive started looking at the p90 software from unitronics, it looks good. still dont really understand it but i guess once i start doing tutorials it will become more clear.

Also the JZ20 series plc has usb programming built in, one of the reasons I chose it. also 2 analogue inputs.

Hopefully the plc will arrive on Friday and I can get to work on the weekend.