Compact Logix

irondesk40

Looking at purchasing a Compact Logix starter kit from local ab rep. Have been using the Micrologix 1400 plc for the last few years on all my projects and wondering which compact logix unit would be equal to the micrologix 1400.

Is this for a project or a trainer you are going to use?

I just got done building our CompactLogix trainer, I used a 1769-L23e-QB1B with IF4XOF2 analog card, but the 1769-L23e-QBFC1B has built in analog, these are great CPU's for the price (For AB ControlLogix) and have built in Ethernet, so if its just for learning they are hard to beat

I think the 1400 is a great CPU so not to take anything away from it... its just that the CompactLogix use 5000 so you will be using a different software

I would think your local rep would be prepared to help you with that question. If they aren’t you should find a different rep.

Equal in what, exactly? Any CompactLogix is going to have a lot more features than a Micrologix 1400. Tag-based programming, multiple languages, direct CIP communication and remote I/O capability. The most basic Compactlogix model is the 1769-L16ER-BB1B. This gives you 16 digital inputs and 16 digital outputs, dual-channel ethernet, usb and SD card storage. The I/O is all low-voltage DC so if you want AC you'll have to get expansion modules. The L1x series uses 1734 series Point I/O for expansion. The others use 1769 series I/O.

Really the only thing the Micrologix 1400 and CompactLogix have in common is they both do ladder logic.

thanks for replys. Reason i ask is i have a quote for the RS5000 lite software and my local rep emailed me a quick start selection.
It has a list of compact logix plc's and I/O units and output cards etc. and you select one or two of each and then select the software and you are suppose to get a discount.
He was not exactly sure but he thought you could get a starter kit with a plc etc. for about the same price as just the software.
Have no problems with the microloigix unit. Great plc as far as i am concerned. Have done everything from simple heat mold press machines to automatic packaging and lamination machines using mulitiple servo axis moves and have found the micrologix 1400 unit to be my favorite. Reason we now looking at the compact logix is due to the fact we looking at combining a waste water control system and heat recovery system and water reuse systems. At the moment they each have a SLC 500 unit and seperate control panels and if we combine them all together the I/O count is too high for the micrologix so the compact logix looks like a great fit.

Then you may need to look at the 1769-L35e or 32e the 23e can be expanded but the power supply is fixed, see the manual below, I would get something you can play/learn with then put into the project once it starts

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um011_-en-p.pdf

Chapter 6 page 80 is the I/O information

The L32/35E processors have gone Silver Series (i.e. it's obsolete). I'd suggest either a 1769-L36ERM or 1768-L42 since it sounds like there's a lot of I/O.

The best option would be to use 1734 series Point I/O, if you have enough room in the panel. The disadvantage is that they don't have the density the SLC cards did, but the advantage is you're not using SLC cards, which are starting to get hard to come by for replacement, and the replacements you can get on the cheap are generally used and won't last as long as a new card would. The 1734 is the series A-B is backing now and there's good support for it.

The cheapest option (which IMO is just kicking the can down the I/O replacement road, but sometimes the budget is constrained so that you're forced to) is to just replace the processors in the SLC racks with 1747-AENTR modules. This converts the existing racks and I/O to remote racks. A COmpactLogix or ControlLogix processor can address them and use them as remote I/O. All you need to do is run ethernet to it. You save on buying new cards and the labor to rewire them. But it's a temporary solution at best. Sooner or later that I/O will start going bad and replacing it will be a huge problem. But, if your budget is restricted, it's a good "for now" option and does work well when everything functions and is easy to set up.

Last edited:
If you need a bigger PLC than the 1400 but don't want the cost of new RSLogix, learning a new PLC, etc. consider using a SoftPLC. Your existing logic can be loaded into it and it has more memory & I/O capacity than the CompactLogix for lower $$. They are even running a special now where the programming software is free. http://softplc.com