Devicenet upgrade

Stig

I usually do not work with DeviceNet so I am pretty green with it.

The network consists of a PLC5/20 and 20 drives on the DeviceNet. Some of the drives are AB Bulletin 160's, as they have been burning out they have been replacing them with PowerFlex 40's. Just as my luck we had one of the 160's die. I have it installed but I am getting a Fault 071.

I can communicate (upload/download parameters) to the drive and it recognizes it as a PF40 over DN.

Any help or a direction to head would be very helpful.

Thanks

More info: The drive is flashing F071, the 1771-SDN devicenet on the plc rack is showing error 73.

Last edited:
The error code "73" on the 1771-SDN means that the Electronic Keying in the scanlist doesn't match the device's actual Identity.

That makes sense: the Scanlist still thinks there is a Bulletin 160, right ?

You'll have to either disable the Electronic Keying, or delete the scanlist entry and replace it with a scanlist entry for the appropriate PowerFlex 40.

It's still possible to get a Error 73 if you copied a PowerFlex 40 scanlist entry instead of created it from scratch. For example, if you copied a scanlist entry for a 1 HP PowerFlex 40 but actually installed a 2 HP PowerFlex 40, you 'd get the same identity mismatch.

Thanks for the info.

After playing around I figured out how to update the scan and change it to a PF40. It's recognized now, however it is still not running via the manual mode on the PV, all the other conveyors are running fine. If I put the PF40 into keypad mode it runs just fine. I can get away with that temporarily for production until I can resolve the new issue.

You're going to have to review the parameters and I/O wiring to figure out why the drive won't run from the network.

I think it's Parameter 36 (Start Source) and Parameter 38 (Speed Reference) that are most important to configure a drive to run from network commands and reference.

You're going to have to review the parameters and I/O wiring to figure out why the drive won't run from the network.

I think it's Parameter 36 (Start Source) and Parameter 38 (Speed Reference) that are most important to configure a drive to run from network commands and reference.

P036 and P038 are, in fact, the start source and speed reference source pointers.
For a 22-COMM-D card, they should be set to a value of 5.

Here's a detailed Technote on swapping out a B160 drive with a PowerFlex 40 or PF52x, including said advice on the parameters...

39165 - Replacing Bulletin160 drives on DeviceNet with PowerFlex40 drives
Access Level: Everyone

Regards
George