PVP +6 not comm on serial to SLC 504

JoeTech

I am upgrading a 550 to a PVP +6 600. I have the program done and am able to test it on my laptop connecting serial to SLC and DH+ for rs500 to monitor PLC program. Everything works fine (had to debug a couple of variables and such). 100% working in FTWiew. Copied from design time to runtime and changed com port to 1 For Panelview.

Laptop Serial Setup:

Com 4 19200, 8, n ,1 CRC, DF1 station number 2

I have tried using different com ports on PVP and always times out.

And I only forgot to switch the RS232 cable once.

Been messing with this for 10 hrs now and need some of your wise assistance.

Thanks to all

You've already mentioned the two most common things: the wrong serial cable and the wrong COM port.

[Monologue For Exposition]

PanelView Plus terminals use a straight-through serial cable to connect to an SLC-500 serial port.

The PanelView's serial port is always COM1. If you've set up the serial driver using a different COM port number (which is very common with USB/RS232 converters), you need to go into the RSLinx Enterprise serial driver configuration on the Runtime side to change the port number before you download the configuration to the terminal.

[End Monologue]

Your description sounds like you could have a bad straight-through serial cable.

Also check to be sure you're performing a "replace communications on download" when you download the new Runtime to the PanelView. I also like to check the "restart on download" button so that I'm confident all the new configuration files will be applied.

Make sure you have a FactoryTalk Diagnostics object on an easily-accessible screen so that you can look for any port conflict or other configuration error messages right at startup of the RSLinx Enterprise drivers.

You are correct I am using a USB to Serial on the laptop ($3000 Getac laptop with two serial ports that wont work in RSlinx, but I can wash it off under running water).
I changed the com port on the runtime driver from com 4 to com 1.

The only thing on Diagnostics is several lines of the following:
Timeout reading "variable" From Station 1 on Driver serial-DF1

If you can, scroll up to the very beginning of the FactoryTalk Diagnostic object to see if there's anything right after the driver initializes.

This really should be straightforward.

Do you have another straight-through serial cable you can try ?

The Station Numbers shouldn't matter, but in DF1 Full Duplex the requestor is usually Station 1 and the responder (the SLC-500) is Station 0.