New to omron help -- HMI Tags.

antsrealm

Hi,

I have to do a quick simple job for a customer who has a Omron PLC, it is brand new and so is the software so it should be the latest connected to the HMI via Ethernet.

I did a bit with it the other day and had no problems doing the PLC code. However I was wondering how you get the tags to work in the HMI side?

Can anyone advise me the basics with using tags in the HMI software?

Sorry I don't have any model numbers on me at the moment.

Thanks,
Anthony.

Yeah, I'm away from it now and the software is on the site laptop. But from memory the PLC is the NJ series and I'm not sure about the HMI but it was brand new approx 7" touch.

The software was already partially set up, and it was addressing using a W_bit or something like that. But the tag was 308.1 for eg but I have no idea how that links up with a tag created in the designer software for the PLC.

It looked like the 'AT' field in the PLC needed some kind of address attached to it to be used by the HMI.

Sorry about the vague details but I'm trying to work out the basic HMI addressing before I get back to the site but I don't have any details on me.

I was hoping someone familiar with Omron would know what I was trying to explain.

Thanks,
Anthony.

I was using CX-Designer and I believe that is part of Sysmac Studio that is installed on their laptop.

Last edited:
With the NJ plc, you don't need to use adresses, you can use tags.

you create a tag "button 1" on the plc, then on the symbol table of the HMI you create a tag with the same name, and they're linked.

There's also an export function on the sysmac studio, that allows you to copy/paste the tags to the Cx-designer symbol table.

With the NJ plc, you don't need to use adresses, you can use tags.

you create a tag "button 1" on the plc, then on the symbol table of the HMI you create a tag with the same name, and they're linked.

There's also an export function on the sysmac studio, that allows you to copy/paste the tags to the Cx-designer symbol table.

Yeah I read about this. I found the export and It copied to the clipboard however there is no symbol table that I can see to paste it into. I assumed maybe that was the case in an earlier version.

Anyone know what the W_bit thing was with the value of for eg. 308.1. That seemed to be one of the tags assigned to a working PB on the HMI.

On Cx-designer go View,Window,Symbol table.
Then paste on to it.

The variable needs to be global, and you have to change the setting (on NJ global variables table) No Publish to Publish only, in order to see it on the CX.

The W_bit is a work bit, before NJ the tags needed to have addresses. If it is declared like that on the CX-designer, either you change it to a tag name, or you have to find it on the NJ plc program.

What is actually your task?

Thanks for the reply, the task is simple. These guys have changed a water treatment plant from relay logic to PLC control using this new Omron hardware. There is a dirty water pump that has chemical dosing pumps pumping into it. We have added a flow switch to detect loss of flow and stop the pump and the dosing pumps.

I just need to add an alarm to indicate the loss of flow and a push button on the HMI to allow restart.

I had created the ladder logic but was having trouble linking up the start / stop and alarm bits up to the HMI software.

Thanks,
Anthony.