FTView SE Historical Logging

Hi,

I have an application where I am required to log some statistics for each cycle of machine:
Cycle Time, Weight In, Weight Out, Air Volume Consumption, Feed Time, etc etc.

I also need to log production data, Total daily weight, shift 1, shift 2 shift 3 data etc etc.

Originally I have done this for 7 cycle of machine and for 1 week of production data by storing it in PLC but now I need to store it for a year.

Has anyone any idea how to accomplise this using the standard SE tools. I have no experience with SQL.

Create a datalog model - and connect it to an ODBC source pointing to SQL; it will create the tables for you - just setup the database and a user that has permissions.

You can run datalogs cyclically, or with datalogsnapshots (events) that take a group of tags and dump their values.

For built in tools and without adding a Historian or dedicated OLDI device, the functionality works surprisingly well.

As mentioned, you will need to create a datalog model. FT View can log your data in one of two formats. One format is called "File Set" and the other is "ODBC".

Use the File Set format only if you are using the data for display in a trend window. It is the easiest datalog to setup but is very limited. The data is not really usable to anything other than the trend. It can be used for other purposes but it is not terribly easy to do.

The ODBC format on the other hand can store data to a database. That database could be something as simple as an Access database or it could be a SQL Server database. Newer versions of FT View include SQL Server 2008 (I think it is either the "Express" or "Compact" editions) as it uses it internally.

You do not need to know SQL. But you will need to read up a little bit on datalogging in FT View (chpt 22 in the user manual) as well as working with a database.

OG

Last edited:
Hi,

Ok so first I need to figure out how to log the data to SQL via ODBC.

Following that I can use the snapshots to dump the data into the database. Now how do I present this data to the user.

FOr example if they want to few all the cycle data from last month?

As xC0MMAND0x mentioned, you can log data on a timed basis or on an event basis, or even both methods can be used. That is part of setting up the model. You will define when to log the data.

As for displaying the data, that WILL require some database knowledge and that is where it can get more complicated. You will need to look at setting up a query to display the specific data you require. This may involve a little bit of SQL knowledge so I would encourage you to get some help from someone on site who knows databases and can help you out. You are also going to have to look at generating a report. A report will be what your users will see. Again, that gets into knowing a little about the database and reporting tools.

The good news is that once your data is in a database you can look at Youtube for help on queries and reporting. Lots of videos should be available there.

OG